1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Platinum Free-No More

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by teddy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. teddy

teddy Mentor

Jun 9, 2006
    Dish has started the HD for Life program. Looking at my bill, it now appears that I don't pay for HD, but HD Platinum is now $10. I was getting HD Platinum free. Since I don't watch HD Platinum much, I called Dish to cancel. They want to charge me $5 to cancel. :nono:
    They change their pricing structure, I should have a right to change my subscription without penalty! I spoke to a supervisor who told me that the only time they waive the $5 fee to cancel is when there is a promotion. I know it is only $5, but these people are starting to show their true face IMO. HD Free for Life? Rip Off.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    HD Free for Life does not include the Platinum HD package. You need to read what is and isn't included.

3. Tony S

Tony S AllStar

Mar 28, 2002
    You are wrong! You were not getting HD Platinum for free. If you called Dish when the promotion started, you got the regular HD channels plus the Platinum channels for $10. You can still drop the Platinum channels and save $5 per month. If you look at the Dish promotion, you will see that the Platinum channels are separated into their own package for an additional $10. They never said that you would get ALL the HD channels for free.

4. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    I was getting HD platinum 'free' before because I was paying $10 for HD+Platinum. When Dish changed the fee structure, I was still paying $10 for the same channels but I had the option to drop the Platinum channels, save 10 bucks and keep watching the other channels in HD, which I did.

Is that what you are referring to?

The $5 charge is standard for any drop in programming. I'm not saying that I agree with it, just saying that this has been standard practice at Dish and that we all agreed to it when we signed the contract.

5. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    HD is free for life, but you still pay for the extra channels. I'm down with it!

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Since at one time I was paying $20, $10 for HD and $10 for Platinum, then they gave me Platinum for free, and now they're giving me HD for free for life, I pretty sure I'm way ahead because I can always cancel Platinum (yes, for the usual one time $5 charge).

7. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Yeah hard to imagine how anyone could be complaining about this. It wasn't too very long ago you would be paying $20.00 to have HD+Platinum. Now you only pay $10.00 for that combo and if you want to pay $0.00 extra and still get lots of HD all you have to do is drop the Platinum. I don't see how anyone could see that as a bad thing? :nono2:

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I can see where those who signed up since last August can be confused. They never experienced the choice of paying $10 for HD or $20 for HD plus Platinum. They were forced to pay $10 for "HD & Platinum HD" while existing customers continued to pay $20 for the pairing.

For them it is just a shift in what is free. Fortunately they are getting the Free HD deal without any further obligation (service commitment or autopay/paperless) or one time fees. They are getting the best deal in this transition.

The sad part is there are still people paying $20 for HD. Those are the people who have a more valid complaint. If they decide now to go with "Free HD" they are required to make the commitments or pay $99.

9. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    How long have you been with Dish? You joined the website back in '06, so you have been around here for 4 yrs or so.
    Seems like you were one of many current Subs, like myself that found out how last August, how to jump on a New Sub deal, and get HD+Platinum merged for $10.

So you were saving $10 a month, the average Current sub was actually paying, you saved around a $100 total or so depending on when you started. Dish never said that HD+Platinum was forever, deals like that end.

The HD+Platinum package ended, and instead of having to pay for HD and Platinum individually again. Dish ended the HD fee all together, you were grandfathered in for HD for life.

So you don't have to commit for 2yrs, add autopay and paperless or pay a onetime $99 fee, you now have HD for life for Free, and had to nothing except luck out and merge HD+Platinum last year. If you didn't merge HD+Platinum last year, and that was NOT an automatic thing for current subs, you had to call in and do it, you bill would be going down $10 month now. You just got the deal $10 earlier for current subs. Now you can drop Platinum, or add drop anything you want to, and HD for Life is still free for you.

10. teddy

teddy Mentor

Jun 9, 2006
    Alright! alright! I'll pay the $5.
    Do you all work for Dish? :D

11. deepen10

deepen10 AllStar

Jan 12, 2010
    bottom line is that this is all BS.. DISH is doing us customers wrong with all these changes.. HD should be free just like Cable does it. Here in NJ, Optimum gives HD free with all packages, no extra charge. Dish keeps their basic package prices low, but you have to pay 10 bucks per receiver.. That is BS. I get charged 24 bucks extra per month for HD, 10 bucks for a Solo HD receiver and 14 bucks for another HD DVR receiver. That is straight up crap.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Your price list is wrong. $20 is the most anyone should be paying for HD (and that is easily fixed by accepting the terms of the HF Free for Life offer). Solo HD receivers are $7 (solo DVRs are $10). The only $14 receivers are Duo non DVRs.

Do a fair comparison of the package prices and you'll probably find where you would be paying for that "free" HD from the cable company.

13. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Cable DVR fees are outrageous, usually...Some are $17/DVR.

14. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Whatev. SD customers pay the same receiver prices.

15. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Save by a smiley face. :)

16. deepen10

deepen10 AllStar

Jan 12, 2010
    yea I have a solo HD DVR and one Dual non DVR so there it is.

17. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Dish charges $5 to change packages, even if you have been paying for a package for years? That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard

18. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Bullsheet. Optimum HD is free, but you have to pay a LOT extra for your box, and MORE than that for the DVR. On top of that their HD is horribly overcompressed. Dish all the way.

19. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Oh come on, I"m sure that's not the stupidest thing you've ever heard unless you've led a very sheltered life. Read some of the posts here before you make that claim. :)

20. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I just shake my head in disbelief that people can grow to adulthood without learning this lesson:

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!

Nothing is free. NOTHING.

If you believe otherwise, you are being duped by someone's Marketing Department, and forgetting the fundimental lesson: nothing is free.

When they say "Buy 3 tires and the 4th one is FREE!", what they mean is: "we've raised the prices on all our tires by 33%."

When they say "Kids eat free" they mean "we've raised the price of the adult meals."

And when they say "Free HD For Life", they mean "We're now using receiver fees to collect our money, and will make enough of a profit gain with eBilling and credit-card auto-pay to cover the HD costs."

You're going to pay either way.

Remember a year or so ago, when Dish was offering "$9.99/month" for new customers? All they did was double the normal 1st year discount but cut the discount period in half. Over the first year, your costs are identical.

Anytime someone says something is "free", you should ask yourself "but what will it COST me?"