1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Problems Pinpointed, Now What?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LR308er, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LR308er

LR308er Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jun 27, 2007
    I've been seeing pixelation and audio dropouts on satellite HD channels for about a week now.

Last night, I proved the problem is tied to a tuner, but I still am not sure which tuner or how to fix it.

Here's what I did.

While watching one HD channel, I noticed the problems had come back again.
    I switched to another HD channel, and that channel was fine.
    I ran the signal strength tests in setup and changed tuners on 110 during the tests.
    I assume this somehow toggled which tuner was selected first, because when I went back to the program I was watching, it had cleared up, but when I switched to the pervious channel the other channel was now having the problems.

I was able to repeat these results over and over, pushing the problems to any HD channel I chose.

So, am I right in thinking that I forced a tuner change?

Is it a tuner issue or a BBC issue?

I am not getting any local stations in HD over the satellite, so can BBC's be removed, or do they serve other functions as well?

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Try recording 2 HD programs at the same time and when you play them back see how your recording went.

Then you will have a better answer

Good luck

3. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes, you can "temporarily" take the BBCs off (take them both off) and see if the problem goes away....there have been MANY BBC failures...I wouldn't be surprised. I got a new reciever and its BBC was bad out of the box (wouldn't pass any signals...looked like the tuner was bad)

By temporary, I mean, you need to get your BBCs working for the fall when the new HD comes on.

4. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Another way to test is to do 3 channel changes. Everytime you change channels, it switches to the other tuner (if nothing is recording). For example, go to ch-73 (tuner 1), then ch-247, then ch-362, then back to ch-73 (tuner 2). :)

5. kenva

kenva Mentor

Dec 29, 2006
    I have seen the same thing!!! It is always Sat input 1. The only way I found to tell which input is being used was disconnect one of the lines. If what I was watching continued to play then I knew I was on the other input. When ever I saw the problem it was always Sat input 1. I got a new HR20 last week and so far so good, but due to all the similar reports here all of a sudden on this issue I am still a little hesitant to call the problem solved.

6. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If removing the BBCs doesn't solve the problem, try a menu > reset recorder.

(Menu > Help & Settings > Setup > Reset > Reset Recorder)

DO NOT reset all...that will wipe your drive.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The BBC function is for the new channels coming, but have nothing to do with current HD locals.
    Now for testing your tuner: Every time you change channels, you swap tuners if you are not recording.
    So if you have a problem with a channel, the first channel change uses the other tuner. If you pick a third channel, the original tuner is used. Now if you tune to the first channel, you are now using the other tuner from what you used the first time.
    Once you know how to "pick" a tuner, you then can lock the other tuner in with a recording and continue testing with the suspicious tuner.

8. LR308er

Jun 27, 2007
    hasan,
    I did a reset Saturday night and thought I had it, but it turned out I was just watching the other tuner.
    How do I get replacement BBC's?

mcbeevee,
    I think your method would basically accomplish the same thing as mine did.
    I know I've got a problem, just a question of which tuner it's on.

kenva,
    Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best!
    I never thought of simply disconnecting one or the other.

I'll try that to pinpoint which tuner is acting up, then I'll swap BBC's to see if the problems follow the BBC or if they follow the tuner.

9. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The BBCs are free...just call D* and tell them you have bad BBCs and they will send you some. I got mine in 3 days.

10. techntrek

techntrek Godfather

Apr 26, 2007
    Unfortunately this won't prove anything, since in many cases the audio dropouts do not show up on the buffer or recordings, only on the live TV output.

11. Southpaw

Southpaw AllStar

May 3, 2007
    I've seen dropouts on HD recordings here. (OTA)

12. psweig

psweig Hall Of Fame

Feb 4, 2006
    My problem is exactly the reverse. If a channel I recorded is pixelated/ audio poor, and I go look live at the channel, it's fine.

13. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I've had a similar problem but with black screens which occasionally told me which tuner had lost the signal (2, in my case). Yesterday I finally went to check signal strengths on both tuners for all sats and found that on 103 transponder 1 there was an obvious discrepency between the two tuners (83 on tuner 1, 0 on tuner 2). So you might try checking the signal strengths between the two tuners when you're having the problem and see if there are any significantly lower signals on one tuner. If so, that would be the troublesome tuner (or possibly BBC on that line, if you haven't removed them).

14. psweig

psweig Hall Of Fame

Feb 4, 2006
    I checked my signal strengths on both tuners;103 (locals) 110 (HD) seem to be identical +- 1. The only thing I haven't tried is removing the BBC's, so I'll do that next. I was trying to avoid it.:hurah:

15. LR308er

Jun 27, 2007
    Worked with it and narrowed it down to one of the BBC's.
    Two new BBC's on the way.

When you start working with these things you realize that there are at least four possible points of failure: BBC, LNB, Tuner, Cable.

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Multi-switch in the dish,
    any additional multi-switch,
    and all connectors.

17. LR308er

Jun 27, 2007
    Are you trying to give me nightmares? :eek2:

My previous system worked for 8 years without a hitch, glitch, or twitch.
    Well, almost.
    E* did have to replace the DVR twice, but it was always at no expense to me, even after the contract had expired and I was just a lowly no-commitment monthly customer.

18. TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems Godfather

Mar 1, 2007

go to directv.com/bbc and order some new BBCs

You can also hit record on any channel, then tune to the BBC test channel 499, which with an HR20 with working BBCs will tell you searching for Satellite in 1 (or 2) which means your recording is locked in on tuner 2 (or 1) respectively, and then troubleshoot from there knowing that everytime you change channels, you are dealing only with the tuner identified on channel 499. Clear as mud?

19. techntrek

techntrek Godfather

Apr 26, 2007
    Mud as clear.

20. kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974 Legend

Feb 13, 2006
    That is very interesting. I've got my new box coming today or tomorrow. I'll try using the new BBCs that come with it and see if it solves the problem. Really hate to lose the CE and all my recordings by using the new box. Please post back and let us know how things go with the new BBCs. I'll do the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.