1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD programs being recorded letterboxed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by F1aReD, Oct 24, 2012.

1. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    I've noticed lately that when I go to recordings of my local channels they're all letterboxed...I get these channels in HD, I checked the channel and it is still in HD (Probably wouldn't go back to SD, but I checked anyway).

I thought these were old recordings that I just haven't watched, but today my local PBS was letterboxed-so I went to the channel itself and it was crystal clear HD.

What gives?

Off topic question: I can't pause my recordings on one tv and watch them in another: it just starts from the begining even though it says "Resume". Is there something that I'm missing? Never could get that feature to work.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Instead of "Pause" in the first room, try "Stop". Then see if it actually resumes.
    The commercial on TV is wrong with it's wording about how this is done.

3. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    If your locals are availalbe in HD, they are on the satellite in both SD and HD. Is it possible that your recordings were set up on the SD channel instead of the HD channel? I have never had a problem recording my locals in HD. The only time I have heard of this happening is when a series was set up to record before the HD channel was added. Once the HD channel is added, you must change the series to record from the HD channel or else it will continue to record the SD channel, even if you have the SD duplicates hidden in your program guide.

4. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    For the last several weeks, I've noticed the same issue. When a program is recorded on one DVR and I watch it via a DVR in another room, when I stop the recording and try to resume, it also goes back to the beginning. I've tried both pause and stop. Either way, it goes back to the beginning of the program. It doesn't happen every time, but it does so intermittently.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Make sure you are actually hitting stop on the remote and not exit to get out the recording.

6. Sward81333

Sward81333 New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    If your recording was set up while a channel is SD it will continue to record the SD version. When Direct adds an HD channel, it doesn't convert the SD to HD, it literally adds another channel. You must cancel the recording of the SD channel and add a recording of the HD channel.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I usually leave (exit) the recording on DVR one to watch it elsewhere, by choosing another program, or by turning the DVR (and TV) off. It surprises me that Exit doesn't work, but I don't use that button nor the Stop button when I want to pick up elsewhere.

8. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks! All issues fixed...I didn't think of the SD/HD channels, I have all the SD versions blocked anyways, I forgot there even was an SD version. We did get all of our PBS stations in HD over the summer, so I knew that was the problem as soon as I read it.

D* should re word there commercials or something. "Simply stop it in one room, and start in another". They make it seem like you can pause and rewind all TV (live or recordings), and watch anything from one room to the next. But in actuality it's only recorded stuff, and you stop not pause.

I know it sounds stupid but I always find myself trying to pause TV on my H25, I'm so used to doing it on my HR-24. The thing I don't like about the H25 is that it's basically a slave to DVR, it doesn't seem to have much functionality. (Which is why I want to upgrade to 2 DVRs in the future)

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Was it that you had a series link for SD channels of old?

Not at all stupid; just takes getting used to. If it's remotely interesting that I've happened across on my H25, I just hit record, but keep watching "live". Then to pause, just go to List, select it, and then hit Pause.

10. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    Yes, it was still recording the SD version of a few different series actually. I tried changing the setting of the series to record the HD version, but it won't let you I guess, so I ended up just searching and recording the series. Or if that particular show comes on, I just hit record.

Thats a pretty good idea...I'll have to try it. I record so much stuff, I really should go through and get rid of some things. There's no way it all gets recorded.

11. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    If you delete your old series recording setting, then go to the show in the guide (being sure you are on the HD channel), and hit record twice, the series will be recorded in HD from that point forward.