1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Receiver mirrored output

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JoeF, Oct 23, 2008.

1. JoeF

JoeF Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    My install is scheduled for the middle of Nov and I want to make sure I have everything I need to set up the way I want.

One of my receivers (HD no-DVR) will be "centrally" located and have the output split (SD) and sent to 2 TV's. I want to control the receiver with 2 Rf remotes. My questions are, does the receiver come with an Rf remote? Does an Rf antenna come with the receiver? Anything I forgot to consider? I know I'll have to buy the second remote.

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    They all come with RF and the antenna is built in on the newer receivers.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Did you know that the H2x series has no RF output?

I ask because it isn't clear how you plan to "split" the SD output.

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    And no the Hxx does not come with a RF remote the last 4 I installed had RC64s but not RC64R.:)

5. JoeF

JoeF Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    I didn't know that there isn't an Rf out. Any suggestions?

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Um, a $20 RF modulator from Radio Shack and a splitter? Or any number of higher-end solutions that take input via component or S-video. Jeez, this isn't a hard question.

7. JoeF

JoeF Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    Jeez, sorry to trouble you.

8. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Sorry, I should have edited my post to include a second comment I was addressing (not from you). I apologize.

My ending comment was directed at the basset hound Dish sub who insists on trolling the Directv forums and harshing everyone's mellow. ;)

9. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

i see his posts, (You know who) and I think "There's No Need to Fear, Underdog is Here"

10. JoeF

JoeF Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    No problem Lefty. You answered my question, so a "Thanks" is in order on my end.

I guess I'll look around for an Rf modulator. Is there much of a difference from one to another? Also, I didn't realize that there was a non-Rf version of the RC-64, so I guess I'll need 2, not just 1.

11. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
  12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The channel plus modulators are great.

Note that there are two distinct different types of home modulators...
    -Cheaper "local" modulators
    -More Expensive "distribution" modulators

The cheap local modulators are what you find in best buy, target, etc. that are meant for running a cable directly to the TV that your component sits next to (for example with older TVs that do not have RCA inputs...rare these days).

The more expensive distribution modulators like the channel plus ones have a much greater power output and are meant for running the signal through your houses coax to other TVs in the house.

13. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    [​IMG]

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    [​IMG]

:p

15. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    Thank yeeeewwwww ;-)

16. JoeF

JoeF Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    OK. These items look like they are the type of thing I'm interested in. I'm on some unfamiliar ground here, so I have a few questions. I think I understand the 5515 box - receiver interface. However, the write up on the 550HHR distribution box, makes it sound as though it will only accept input from 2 receivers (max). Is that right? (I'm getting 2 HD-DVR's and 1 HD rcvr).

Will these boxes support a "remote" receiver set-up? It looks like it would, although I'm not exactly clear on how it would need to be configured.

In a perfect world, I'd have all the receivers in a central location (equipment rack), and distribute the signal from there. I'd control them via Rf remote. The ability to do this AND watch any receiver on any TV would be HUGE. Is this doable or am I reaching? FYI I have one RG-6 run to each TV location from the distro (home run) location.

17. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Sort of. I use splitters to combine 2 signals on each of the inputs, giving me 4 total. I have 2 DVR's and 2 security cameras scattered throughout the house.

quote=JoeF;1854314]Will these boxes support a "remote" receiver set-up? It looks like it would, although I'm not exactly clear on how it would need to be configured.[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by "remote". If you mean using IR repeaters to changes channels, then yes. Might need one of the other 550's, as there are a few different types for different uses.

You can do this with SD signals only. Nothing for HD over coax yet. I have done some side jobs where I took 4 receivers, rack mounted them and and fed them all back over 1 piece of coax using the 5545, which does 4 inputs at the same time to the 550. Just remember that everything is SD.

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    So you would withhold the information?

Whom are you trying to protect?

I figured it was better to inform the OP now than to have them find out the hard way that a critical element of their plan is not a feature of the chosen receiver.

19. JoeF

JoeF Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    I think I remember hearing that HD won't work via coax so I think I'll co-locate the HD DVR's with my (2) HD TV's. Then centrally locate the remaining receiver and use a Channel Plus Modulator to send signal to a distribution amplifier and control the reciever via Rf remote. If I understand the set-up correctly, this will give me the ability to view SD on any TV that's plugged into the distro amp and change channels via any number of Rf remote controls.

Am I getting close?

20. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Very close. You probably won't need a DA for just two TVs. Unless you can guarantee only one program will be needed on the SD TVs at one time, I wouldn't load up on RF remotes.

Ultimately, the HD receiver will need to be collocated with an HDTV so you might consider using an SD receiver (that currently includes a simple RF modulator) instead.