1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Reciever, SD TV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dnelms, Jul 19, 2010.

1. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Looking into MRV and curious. Do the HD recievers work on a SD TV? I know of course that you would still get the SD signal, but can it even work in that manner? I've got a HR20-700 on my one HDTV in the house. But we have 2 SD sets that use a R15 DVR.

2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Sure they do. Just go video and audio out on the receiver to your TV.

The only problem is DirecTV won't hook up a HD receiver to a SD television. You might have to be a little tricky here, borrowing a HD television for a day or two to make this happen or doing a self install.

I'm running into this exact issue in installing a whole house audio system tomorrow. I'm doing the DTV work myself to avoid the problem.

3. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes, I currently have one of my HD DVRs on an SD TV. I still record the HD versions, so that with MRV I can watch those shows in HD on other TVs. The receiver downconverts the signal to send out to the SD TV.

One limitation, there is only S-video and RCA composite out for SD TVs. If your TV only has coax in, you will need an inexpensive modulator to convert RCA to coax.

4. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    They definitely do in MPEG4 local markets... ;) :D

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    This was not true for me 2 years ago. I just said I am getting a HD TV soon and the installer did it. The installers done get paid if they dont install so really just say the tv is on its way from the other house in the next few days or that you plan on buying one when you get paid again and you want it installed already. Should not be a problem.

6. xceebeex

xceebeex Legend

Jun 17, 2010
    I had no problem with the DirecTV installers hooking up my H24 to my SD TV without any questions asked. My install was done on July 2nd, so this was fairly recent. I am not sure why DirecTV would care if the TV is SD or HD anyway. Everything works great with my MRV as well.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Some installers were refusing to do this at one time because it was costing them money. They would hook up a HD receiver to a standard def TV with composite or S-video cables. Then a couple weeks later a customer would bring home a new HDTV and hook it up with the same composite or S-Video cable and then call DirecTV complaining their their HD service looked like poo and it must be broken. The tech would then get back charged because there was a customer complaint within 90 days of the install or whatever. This isn't fair to the techs because what they did was correct when they installed the box and it is the customers fault that they did not read the instructions and learn how to hook up their own equipment properly (or find someone to do it for them).

I think that D* may have started doing something differently in this situation as I haven't heard of as many people having techs refuse to do it lately.

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    They had no problem doing so when my parents added the Whole Home DVR service. If you order Whole Home they have no choice but to use HD receivers.

9. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Very true. I don't really have much to add, but I had no problem with putting HD DVR's on my two SD televisions. The installer didn't even blink.

10. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Perhaps I should add that the HD receivers do not have an RF (Coax) output. So if you have a really old TV that is cable only, you will need to purchase an RF modulator ($15-20 at walmart).

11. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Thanks for all the answers. Both the SD tv's have component or S-video connections, so I'm good in that regard. Now I've just got to find a job so I can afford it. It's become hard to even keep the service at all, but making ends meet a month at the time. Going on 7 months now, looking at jobs every single day.

12. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    My installer provided and installed me one free of charge.