1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD RSN blackouts

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by huskerpat, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 9, 2007 #1 of 40
    huskerpat

huskerpat Mentor

Apr 20, 2007
    what's the point of HD RSN's if I get blacked out of games. I'm in Omaha and both FSN rocky mountain and midwest had games in HD saturday night, but I couldn't watch either. so what's the deal? am I just hosed?

2. Jul 9, 2007 #2 of 40
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    The point is that IF your RSN is showing something in HD, then you get to see it in HD. And I suppose that if you're a Sports Pack subscriber and one of those out-of-market RSNs happen to show something that isn't blacked out but is in HD, then you'd be able to see that too. But I haven't seen that second case yet.

3. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    The HD RSN's are just for subscribers in those markets. If you're not, you will never see anything on those channels.

4. slowmo

slowmo Legend

Sep 22, 2006
    I haven't bothered to learn the rules but I have noticed, since I started getting HD RSN's (the 2 SEastern channels), two instances where I was blocked from receiving ESPN because the same game was on one of my HD RSN's.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    This is really the one basic rule, if you are supposed to get game from your local rsn, ESPN will be blacked out whether you get the rsn or not.

6. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    That does not happen on cable. When the Mets, Yankees or Phillies are on ESPN,
    I still get the game on my Verizon RSNs, which are SNY, YES and CSN. I get
    both the HD and SD version.

7. huskerpat

huskerpat Mentor

Apr 20, 2007
    that makes more sense. If I understand correctly, if Fox broadcasts the Huskers in HD, I'll get that since I'm "in market".

8. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    And you still get the game on ESPN too? Your RSNs should be hollering.

9. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    Yes, we do get the game on ESPN. The agreements must allow this to happen.

10. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    Consider yourself lucky, because that is not what's supposed to be happening. ESPN should be blacked out when your local team is playing on there, with the exception of the Sunday Night game. My local teams are always blacked out on ESPN via my cable co. and via E*.

11. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    Yes.

12. huskerpat

huskerpat Mentor

Apr 20, 2007
    If you have the sports pack, are you still blacked out if you aren't in market?

13. saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    For 99.9% of pro sports, yes. Same rules apply as the SD RSN's.

14. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    FSN has a national agreement with the Big-12 and the Pac-10 to show games nationwide. If it's not on ABC or ESPN, it'll probably be on the FSN channels. How that's going to work will all the HD FSNs on the same Dish transponder, I don't know.

15. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    The SD answer to that question is here: http://www.carload.com/dishsports.htm

One of these days, when HD becomes as expected as color in movies, you might be able to watch a minor-league game or something in HD. For now, those RSN HDs are only used when necessary, and that has always(?) meant a major-league game subject to blackout out of market.

16. anthonyi

anthonyi Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    So, if I purchase the RSN package. I figure I won't be able to see the Phillies. But would I be able to watch teams like the Reds, Chicago, etc.... that are outside the Philadelphia market?

17. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    No, you would need to go to Direct or cable and get the MLB Extra Innings package to do that. RSNs only give you pro baseball games for the teams in your market.

18. anthonyi

anthonyi Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    But the teams in my market would be blacked out.

19. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    No, they would be blacked out on national providers like ESPN, if the RSN was carrying the game. You always have rights to view the teams inside your market.

20. anthonyi

anthonyi Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    E* doesn't offer me any teams that are in or near my Market area. No Phillies, Met, Yankees, Baltimore, nothing at all. So I thought if I purchased the Sport Package from E* I would be able to watch some Baseball?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.