1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD satellite position change in 3 years?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ssaslow, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ssaslow

ssaslow New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    About three or four years ago I went to upgrade my directv from SD to HD. I have fine line of sight in SD just over some tall trees in my backyard.

I did not have enough line of sight to get HD. The installer said that satellite is lower but they may switch satellites...

Does anyone know if in the last three or four years that Satellite may have changed for me to be able to get HD? Don't feel like wasting my time having them come out here for nothing.

I went to dishpointer but couldn't figure it out

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    You need to see the 99, 101, and 103 slots in order to receive HD channels.

3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The installer might not be aware of the Slimline 3 dish that just needs 103, 101 and 99 which works a lot better for people who had line of site issues with 110 and 119, especially in the northeast.

Edit: I didn't see the 4 years ago part. The slimline 3 is a new dish that doesn't need 110 and 119. Depending on your market though, i.e. if the locals are on 119, it might not be in stock with local installers so you might need to call ahead.

4. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    4 years ago (summer 2007) was when DirecTV 10 was launched, followed by DirecTV 11 late that year. So some core HD was still on (and required line of sight to) 110w and 119w as I recall.

Yes, times have changed and all HD programmign is now located at 99w and 103w. For reference 101w is the traditional SD programming main satellite location for DirecTV