1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Theatre changing to Velocity

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dennispap, Apr 14, 2011.

1. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Discovery Communications Inc. is launching a television network for rich guys and their toys.

Called Velocity, the new network will replace the current network HD Theater in some 40 million homes on Sept. 25, Discovery officials said Thursday. The target audience is men with incomes of $150,000 a year and more.

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9MJ74EG2@news.ap.org>&ps=1016

2. Terry K

Terry K Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42588391/ns/today-entertainment/
    Yet another useless crap channel if you ask me. I'm just curious if it gets moved to the HD Extra pack with the rebrand.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Sounds like much of the planned programming is already running on HD Theater.

4. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Exactly. The re-branding is following the direction the programming has already gone, not vice versa.

Much like when TNN became Spike. The programming was already in place. They just slapped a name on it more in line with the existing programming

5. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    HD Theater was more or less launched as one of the first HD channels.... when HD came to our livingrooms in 2004-ish or so, you would get some of the big networks, NBC, ABC, CBS etc in HD and then you would get HD Theater to showcase what HD can do, as not all programs were in HD. It's one of the first all-HD stations.

With HD becoming so much main stream, and with most providers providing at LEAST 50+ HD channels to the public, even the honkey-donkey backwardville cable provider, a station that brands itself having only HD programming is not really needed anymore. HD programming is all around us now.

"HD Theater" isn't really a brand name anymore.... "Velocity" is a brand name that could work much better for a TV station.

As said above: This is nothing more then a rebranding.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I already emailed Xfinity and requested they drop this channel in favor of the HD feed of DIY. I wont bother emailing DirecTv because the >$150,000 annual income is their target subscriber, so they will probably remap this channel in 3 slots like they do The101 :)

7. Chrismon1001

Chrismon1001 AllStar

Apr 3, 2011
    I wonder if this channel will be kept when there contract is up. I guess it will depend on ratings, but if the shows are going to be close to what they have now and the ratings keep dropping then my money would say we will be losing this channel soon unless Discovery Networks cuts a nice deal. We lost G4 who had ratings that was going back up slowly, and didn't even have a price increase. This is all hypothetical, and only what I think may happen, from what Derek Chang said.

8. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    Really, another stupid name change. Spike and now Velocity? Come on...

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Fits right in with the existing MavTV.

10. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    HD Theater has been on channel 5710 labeled "TEST" for a couple of weeks now. I've enjoyed watching Overhaulin'.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Minor correction: 5710 has been there for a few years.
    (Reported added on 08-29-07, 07:20 PM ET - conversion to MPEG4 reported 12-04-08, 04:20 AM ET.)

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Let us not forget Fox Sports to Root Sports

13. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    If what you mean is the Platinum pack HD Theater is already in that pack. Everyone with an HD receiver gets it on the "Test" channel w/o guide data. I wonder if that will change when the name changes to Velocity?

HD Theater is a better "Test" channel than the Harry's Steakhouse fish tank we used to get.

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    HUH? :confused:

15. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    If I dream like I make that much, do I count as a target audience? Most expensive thing in my house is the furniture my Grandparents purchased for me as a graduation gift. So the target audience would be them, but I have their expensive furniture :D

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just an example of another new odd name ... which only applies to the three DirecTV owned "FoxSports" channels that changed names to "ROOT Sports". The rest remained "FoxSports".

17. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'm Sorry about that, I forgot that applied only to those 3 specific channels

18. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    Discovery HD Theater was the first HD channel I had back when I still had my C-Band system running. I added the HD decoder to my Digicypher receiver and was blown away. I've yet to see anything that matched that channel picture quality wise on a C-Band system.

One nice thing about it was that it was nearly ad free. It carried the best of the Discovery Channel programming in a limited interruption format. Since they rebranded it to HD Theater, dropping the "Discovery" bit, it has been mostly showing the same programming over and over for years. I suppose it was intended to showcase high quality HD to newbies, but it would become boring pretty quickly once you saw all the shows in their library.

I'd be happy to see Dish drop it and replace it with something more interesting.

19. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    Yeah yeah, heard it all before...just a rebranding. I'd be surprised if it actually lasts for a long time before going to just another generic channel that reruns Crank Yankers (if Syfy doesn't get it first :lol: like they have Web Soup :lol:

20. Hunter844

Hunter844 Legend

Apr 26, 2007
    When are they going to rebrand Planet Green since there isn't anything "green" about the content of the network now days?

I really liked some of those shows like Greenovators, World's Greenest Homes, and Renovation Nation.

Liked HD Theatre, Cafe Racer is pretty decent and there are a few other shows that aren't bad either.