1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Upgarde on DISH 501 PVR ?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by -, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

hey i got a dish 501 with pvr, and im wondering if its possible to just open the box up and stick in a new bigger hd. if thats possible how do i do it and what do i need. thanks !#@

2. Guest

Moving to PVR Forum...
    Yes you can, heres a thread that was on AVS and should provide some help.

Steve

3. Guest

You can't put a larger drive in the 501. The 40 gig drive that's in there is married to the receiver - probably with drive id numbers or something. A lot of people have tried, and none have succeeded. The new 508 is supposed to be out soon with a larger drive, but of course Dish is sticking it to us on the price - they've said $499 for basically a 501 with an 80 gig drive.

4. Guest

Whats the difference in price between a 40 gig and 80 gig drive? $20, $30 Bucks?

I guess we should remember that the PVR's (including Tivos) are not meant to be video librarys but instead as a way for us to time shift our programming.

Scott

5. Guest

Well, according to dish, the price difference is $100...oh well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.