1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Using Coax?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by SmokemanGRP, Jul 24, 2014.

1. SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP Cool Member

Dec 22, 2004
    My neighbor asked me to help her select and install a new TV. My experience is with DTV, she has Dish. It appears to be a simple configuration, replace the small existing TV with a new 40 – 48” flat screen. However, when Dish installed her system she wanted the receiver to be located on a wall where there was a network junction box and the TV on the opposite wall. I have not looked closely at the configuration yet but it appears there are 3 coax between the dish and the receiver then 1 coax from the receiver to the TV. Replacing the old TV will be simple enough but will she receive HD using coax between the receiver and TV instead of HDMI? Are TV manufacturers phasing out coax connectors? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    What model receiver does she have? HD cannot be through a coaxial cable.

3. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    She needs 5 RCA cables for Component/audio or a HDMI cable run through the walls to get HD on the new TV.

4. SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP Cool Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks guys, I'll let her know the best route would be to move the Dish box or stick with SD.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    what the "dish box " model she have ?

6. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Of course HD can be through a coax cable. Ever hear of the cable company? They're not just sending one channel, they're sending *all* the channels through that coaxial cable. Modern coax has at least 1GB of bandwidth. That's more than enough to carry the 66Mbps payload of uncompressed 1080i. And my rooftop antenna delivers HD to my receiver via coaxial cable as well. And what is that cable coming down from the roof from your dish called? Oh, yeah. That's coaxial, too. And they all carry HD.

What you meant to say is that Dish receivers do not deliver HD to televisions via coaxial cable. AFAIK, no receivers do. But this is not a technical issue or a limitation of coaxial cable. It is, rather, a legal issue.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Neither DISH nor DIRECTV receivers can send modulated HD like the cable company does. You may have noticed that cable boxes don't connect via coax to the TV.

HD modulators are still prohibitively expensive for the typical consumer.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm guessing you're looking at a backfeeding situation and that's why there are so many cables.

Much more needs to be known about the receiver and where the cables are attached to make an educated guess.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    While you're technically and certainly correct... I don't think this info does anything but confuse the original poster in this particular situation. Regardless of what is technically possible given the right equipment, the post from the DIRT rep is accurate in how it applies to all current Dish receivers.

1 person likes this.
  10. SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP Cool Member

Dec 22, 2004
    I'll get the specifics of her configuration this weekend then report back.

Thanks for everybody's help so far.

11. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    While not coax, a pair of these works great getting HD from point A to point B, regardless of the wires you may or may not have.

http://www.actiontec.com/219.html

I used one for years with Dish and other systems. Saved me a ton on extra receiver fees. New price is pretty steep, but ebay deals can be found.

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    For an all Dish solution doing whole house - your neighbor should consider the Hopper / Joey setup. Joeys will provide HD (via HDMI) as well as composite video / analog audio ..

13. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    There are wireless Joeys as well.

14. SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP Cool Member

Dec 22, 2004
    I finally got a chance to go by my neighbor’s and check out her configuration. She does not currently have any HD services from Dish. The receiver is a Dish322 and she has the Smart Pack. If she decides to upgrade we’ll rework her configuration to either a Hopper / Joey setup or relocate the new receiver close enough to the TV to use an HDMI cable.

Thanks for everybody’s help.

15. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Even the Hopper/Joey still needs a HDMI or component cable to the TV

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Joey can be mounted fairly close to the TV.

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Joeys are HDMI for HD - period. Composite video (SD) and analog / TOSLINK audio outputs also provided. Hoppers have component video feeds as well as HDMI.

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    The closest to her current 322 would be a VIP 222 - but that only supports HD at the receiver - the TV2 would be NTSC SD RF or composite video/analog audio.