1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Without Stretch-O-Vision

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Avder, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1 of 32
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Hey everyone

I got DirecTV a month or go, HD DVR and everything, and it's great. I can actually see the puck when I watch hockey now. But the problem I have is that I can't stand the HD channels that use stretch-o-vision for SD content. It drives me crazy because I can't stand watching anything that's not in its corect aspect ratio. My grandma is one of those people who willingly activates stretch-o-vision on her SD cable and I cant stand watching TV much when I'm over there.

So my question is this: does anyone have a list of which HD channels use Stretch-O-Vision on SD shows (excepting infomercials and commercials...they can stretch them to heck for all I care), and which channels actually broadcast in the true SD aspect ratio where appropriate? I'd like to take some of the SD feeds out of my guide, but only if the corresponding HD channel wont drive me crazy with its silly putty action.

Thanks!

2. Feb 8, 2010 #2 of 32
    gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    While I do not have a list, I do know that TBS and Food Network and Cartoon Network have been stretch-o-vision violators. I'm sure there are many others, but those do come to mind at the moment.

3. Feb 8, 2010 #3 of 32
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    TNT as well.

4. Feb 8, 2010 #4 of 32
    miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    IMHO the Discovery family of networks do a wonderful job of up-converting SD shows without stretching. They use a semi zoom technique that works well.

5. Feb 8, 2010 #5 of 32
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Semi zoom?

6. Feb 8, 2010 #6 of 32
    miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Maybe another person has a better way of describing it. Sorry! Check out TLC HD sometime and you might be able to catch an example. It's much better than the stretch though.

7. Feb 8, 2010 #7 of 32
    ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    I hate stretch-o-vision. My first HD tv was a rear projection crt, which had screen burn from the pillar boxes within 1 year. Still better than stretch-o-vision.

8. Feb 8, 2010 #8 of 32
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Would be good if they could make those black bars not so perfectly black. Change pixels often enough that it doesn't burn in, but subtly enough that you'd have to be looking for it in the black bars to notice it.

I wonder if some of those programs that just display ever changing pixels that are used to fix stuck lcd pixels could be used to reverse burn in?

Also, are there any HD networks that are EXCELLENT about keeping content in its original aspect ratio? So far the only ones Ive seen are ESPN, NHL Network, and the premium movie channels (well, not original aspect ratio, but a real good cropping job to make the movie 16:9, sorta how most VHS movies were cropped intelligently to 4:3).

9. Feb 8, 2010 #9 of 32
    Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    HDNet, MGM-HD, there are a lot of channels that NEVER use Stretch-O-Vision and always maintain the original aspect.

Why do TNT and TBS insult the viewers thusly? I mean, just to save a few bucks because they had the rights to some old films on SD tape lying around? I can't believe how cheesy that is. Heads look REEDICKLESS in SOV. People all turn into ALIEN.

10. LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz AllStar

Dec 31, 2008
    It's a lot like the colorization of b&w movies that was tried in the '80s. It's a ridiculously stupid practice that tries to please the "why isn't this filling my screen" crowd. I hope it dies out like colorization did. Turner cables nets even use stretch-o-vision even on recent shows like Bones. It's pathetic.

11. oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006
    I thought burn in was a thing of the past. I have a projection LCD, so not an issue. Until I decide to upgrade.

12. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    It's called a 14:9 aspect ratio. Half-way between 4:3 (12:9) and 16:9.
    It's used alot on Discovery for shows that were shot as 4:3. It allows for a smaller amount of the vertical image to be cropped and smaller sidebars to be used.

In simple terms, instead of zooming the image to a full widscreen image and cropping the vertical all the way to someones forehead, they zoom out out half way and crop to the vetical to the top of their head.

13. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Ah, in other words its stretch-o-vision light.

Thanks.

14. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    With zoom, I wouldn't say that there is any stretching involved.

15. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    No stretching, only zoom and crop. No "big elbows".

16. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    HGTV is another channel that stretches some content. That really bugs me. They shows ads in 4:3, but programming gets stretched. Go figure!

17. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    Seems like the advertisers would get miffed about the tops and bottoms of their products (and fine print!) getting cropped off the screen. It sure annoys me.

18. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The A&E family of networks stretches their commercials (as far as I can tell while fast-forwarding on the DVR). I'm surprised the advertisers haven't complained -- particularly Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, and such, given that the stretching makes people still look fat "after." :D

19. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    True I spose, but it's still taking the content out of its original aspect ratio. Now, if this is a full-fledged professionally done studio-endorsed crop job to make it more viewable on 16:9 TV's I can handle it (Isn't Seinfeld doing that?), but if it's some kind of computer controlled algorithm doing it on on the fly, I still group it in with anything else considered stretch-o-vision.

20. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    I agree with everything you say, but I'd go one further.

I can't stand watching SD anymore whether is stretched or not.

SD is so ugly on a big HD set that I can't stand it. Life is too short to watch ugly television.