1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD24 DVR Question: Erasing Multiple Episodes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DKNY330, Sep 20, 2011.

1. DKNY330

DKNY330 Cool Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Three days into switching to Direct TV and trying not to have buyer's remorse. There are some things I like (Whole Home DVR, iPad, HBO GO) and some things I actually miss (the many additional HD Channels I got on Cable, TiVo).

The programming function on the HD DVR unfortunately does not tell you if you have more than two shows that you're taping at the same time - TiVo immediately alerted you to this. Learned the hard way that you have to prioritize your Season Series.

My question: Is there a way to erase all episodes of a series at once or do you have to go through each one individually? Thanks in advance.

2. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    In your playlist, select the series folder and hit delete..

3. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You will find the Series Manager under the Menu>Manage Recordings option. There you can delete the entire series link.

4. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Sorry, it's very early for me. I should stay out of forums until noon.

5. DKNY330

DKNY330 Cool Member

Sep 4, 2011
    I don't want to actually delete the series but all the episodes of that series. For example if there are 9 taped episodes, do I have to go through each one individually or is there a way to erase all the episodes but not the series itself? Had this function on the TiVo. Thanks -

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Yes. Go to the PLAYLIST, highlight the show's folder and hit the RED button.

7. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    A bit of a shortcut: highlight the show's folder and press the DASH button twice (that's the button to the left of the zero on the remote).

That will delete the folder immediately with no confirmation -- and unlike on the TiVo, there's no "undelete" -- so make absolutely sure you have the correct folder highlighted first. (Been there, done that!)

8. RMBittner

RMBittner Legend

Mar 28, 2011
    Since you already got a solid answer to your question, I'm going to risk some thread drift by asking -- in light of the above quote -- what led you to switch to DirecTV if you actually had more HD channels on cable, plus TiVo.

We'll be doing a similar switch just as soon as D announces their HDDirecTiVo, but that's largely because our cable company offers only about 20 HD channels and has no relationships with any of the "to Go" iPad app developers (like HBO Go, etc.) or channels like ESPN (which would open up ESPN3 to us).

Do you mind sharing what led you to DirecTV? (And if this feels too far off-topic, feel free to just PM me.)

Bob

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Read the features in parenthesis in the second sentence of the OP. Chances are pretty good they are high on the list.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What do you mean by the programming doesn't alert you if your recording more than two shows at a time?

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    When you set a series link it won't always tell you about conflicts. If there is a conflict between the episode you are using to set up the series link and another recording it will pop up the error message telling you so, and ask you how you wan tto resolve the issue. However, if there isn't a conflict for the exact episode you are using to set up the series link it won't pop up with a warning window. You have to go into the To-Do List in order to see that next week's episode will have a recording conflict that will cause something not to be recorded.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    TiVo still does that. Ridiculous. You set up your recordings, adjust your season pass manager once like you did in TiVo, always first, cable channels always second, and let it be. These dvrs will pick up the replays of the show if they are missed for a conflict with a show you deemed more important,(heck, they even pick up a second airing of the same show if one was a partial because of power loss, or other non user initiated issues) so that pop up is nothing but an annoyance and a waste of time once you have properly set up your series manager.

13. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I also find it handy to mark a individual episodes within a folder. Then I can delete the marked programs.

It makes it easy to clean out a hard drive to save some space and still keep the stuff I want.

Mike

14. Howard Wade

Howard Wade New Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Molokai...
    New member. All I want to do is erase some series that have been pre-set to record that I no longer want. I have tried everything including online searches and gotten nowhere searching for an answer. Everything tells me how to delete episodes within a group, but nothing about getting rid of the series so it won't record anymore. I've been directed to the "series manager" but have been unable to find this feature in the Menu, on the list, anywhere. Help?

15. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    First of all, welcome to DBSTalk Howard. :)

To access the series manager you will use the remote to navigate to Menu> Recordings> Manage Recordings> Series Manager> When you find the series you wish to delete press the {Red} button.