1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDLite?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris2, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris2

Chris2 Mentor

Sep 5, 2005
    What is it and why would you want HDLite?

2. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    Assuming this is not a satirical or rhetorical question, HDLite is down rezzed and/or bit starved high definition telecasts lacking that WOW factor and POP in picture quality that we HD fanatics want to see in HD telecasts. (Some say that DirecTV is especially notorious in transmitting HDLite, but true HD fanatics don't discriminate among guilty providers.)

You would want it if you aren't a true HD fanatic and you value quantity over quality

3. Chris2

Chris2 Mentor

Sep 5, 2005

I don't see what the point of it is that's like watching HD on a black and white TV. How do you make sure you don't get it? Or is all directvs HD like that?

4. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I'd still rather watch HDLite than standard definition. Bandwidth should increase after the conversion to MPEG-4.

5. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004

The point of it is that D* or any other provider can cram more TV into smaller spaces (locals guys do it when they broadcast a bunch of channels over the same frequency - multicasting).

You really can't make sure they don't do it. Well, I guess you could take over news corp. and then you might have a say. The only thing I can think of is call in and complain...then wait for MPEG4 conversion. Man, if MPEG4 doesn't fix it there will be a lot of unhappy campers.

Pretty much all D* HD is "HD Lite". I understand they have bumped up some of the channels but I'm pretty sure they compress the living day lights out of most of them.

Oh, and what Durl said - 100%!!

6. Chris2

Chris2 Mentor

Sep 5, 2005
    Why do they bother to have HD then when it's not really true HD? The picture might be a little better but it's not the way it was ment to be seen! I woudn't pay for that crap.

7. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    E* has true HD. :)

8. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
    I would guess that it has something to do with people wanting more HD but there not being enough satellite to put those channels on. When the new MPEG4 stuff starts coming out that should take care of the problem and there should be plenty of room to grow.

I can't say what dish has. I don't read the threads or own any dish equipment. I will ask though, what does dish have planned for the future? More whining before congress about having to provide locals or are they actually going to man up and start doing something?

9. Chris2

Chris2 Mentor

Sep 5, 2005
    They should tell people they are doing it you are paying for HD not something less.

btw who is E*

10. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004

E* = echostar = dish network

D* = directv

11. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004
    Chris2 - just my two cents -

Why don't you judge with your own eyes. Find a friend or coworker who currently has D*'s HD. Have them switch back and forth on a channel that is being broadcast in both SD and HD. It is not like watching on a black and white TV. The improvement is absolutely stunning. If you have the ability to receive HD through cable, you might want to compare that also.

12. tds4182

tds4182 Legend

Jul 17, 2003

That's not all they have.

Why don't you ask the 921 owners how much they like E*'s HD offerings (when they can get their machines to work)?

13. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Don't care about the 921. My 942 can record 3, yes 3, HD programs at one time while I watch a 4th already recorded. :) All this in True beautiful High Definition. Sure, I have read the 921 horror stories, but that is irrelevant to new subscribers who can get truly stable and state of the art receivers with quality HD to match.

14. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    But only 1 OTA channel. With D* you can record 2 OTA channels.

15. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    You need that 2nd OTA tuner with D* because you sure won't get quality HD from the SATS.

16. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    No. Because just maybe I watch more network programming. I think most others do too. This has nothing to do with HD quality on the SATS.

17. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Ok, I'll give you that one. Yes, it would be nice if the 942 had a 2nd OTA tuner. I made the mistake of taping the Apprentice last night OTA and CSI from the SAT. Turns out the Donald didn't master his show in Widescreen HD so I wasted the OTA tuner on the wrong program. Still, my original point that E* has much better HD than D* is still valid. Maybe that will change when the MPEG4 business gets worked out.

18. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002

Agreed.

19. stevendsnyder

stevendsnyder Mentor

Aug 24, 2004
    Cincinnati,OH
    There was a link in another thread a few months back that gave the bit ratings for the various HD stations on D* and E*. I don't have that link any more, but maybe someone else still has it.

20. stevendsnyder

stevendsnyder Mentor

Aug 24, 2004
    Cincinnati,OH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.