1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Activation?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by kutchins, Jan 27, 2009.

1. kutchins

kutchins AllStar

Mar 20, 2004
    Just got a new HDMI cable wanting to use it simultaneously for another HD set, along with the component output on the main set; but, even with a new Sumsung TV, it doesn't see the HDMI output. It's almost like the HDMI output on the 622 needs to be activated, but that's probably not too likely.

Reviewing past posts, it appears Dish has a long history of HDMI output problems, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on trouble-shooting, short of calling customer support. I tried the chat feature on-line tonight and wasn't too pleased with the experience.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Have you tried Menu - 6 - 3 - Analysis - HDMI Test ?

3. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    The VIP series will not output both HDMI and component at the same time. It's one or the other...

4. GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1 Legend

Dec 6, 2005
    I don't think that is correct. Both of my Vip622s have all outputs active. So I have been able to output both through component and HDMI.

5. kutchins

kutchins AllStar

Mar 20, 2004
    Well, the mystery continues. I tried the HDMI port only, in the event the 622 outputs to either HDMI or component, but that didn't work. And, I looked at the HDMI Analysis on the menu. Unfortunately, none of the information was meaningful to me; so, I think I'll give tech support a chance. Thanks to those who've responded thus far.

6. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    This is not correct. Both outputs are available simultaneously.

7. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    Sorry, but that is not correct!

Both HD outputs are simultaneously active.

If the OP can conduct a test with the HDMI cable and a different HDMI signal source (DVD player, etc.) to isolate the problem to their 622 then most likely it has a mechanical HDMI connector problem. Such a problem is not all that uncommon for the 622, particularly older units that do not have the added connector support Dish wisely began adding to later revisions. One of my 622s is such a unit and its HDMI connector has been dead since day one ~ I suspect that it probably left the factory that way. I haven’t bothered requesting a replacement for it since I only require a component connection to the old RPCRT set with which it is used.

8. kutchins

kutchins AllStar

Mar 20, 2004
    Just to keep the group updated - I phoned tech support and actually got a responsive, interested person in Colorado who said they'd send out a tech person at no charge. Her supervisor seemed to think some adjustment on the rooftop dishes might be necessary. We'll see and I'll let you all know.

9. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    I'm currently running both component and HDMI on my VIP 622 with no problems. I also don't think it has anything to do with any adjustments on the roof.

10. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    My ViP622 does and it's almost 3 years old.

11. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    Sounds like someone trying to pull the wool over your eyes. The HDMI cable goes between the receiver and the TV. You don't event need a dish for HDMI to work. My dish is currently covered with snow and ice and my HDMI connection still sends recorded events to the TV!

12. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Bottom line. All outputs are hot as others have said and most likely you have a broken HDMI port on your 622. Way to test this is to plug another HDMI device into the same cable and see if you get anything on the TV.

I believe you are going to have to have your 622 swapped out to get your HDMI working.

13. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    Yes. Please keep us posted. I want to know how an adjustment on the roof will resolve an HDMI matter.

Must be with a very long screwdriver:D

14. kutchins

kutchins AllStar

Mar 20, 2004
    I agree the roof solution is bogus; but, at least someone at Dish took enough interest to set up a no-charge service call.

I've checked the HDMI cable with another device and it works fine.

It'll be interesting to learn if the tech has a spare box on the truck. In that event, I'm busy making DVD's of a few shows my wife would be very cross if I let get away:).

Stay tuned.

15. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Hook up an external USB hard drive and copy them over (you have to pay the activation fee to do so but it's one time for the whole account) then you can watch them from the new 622 in HD instead of down-converted to SD DVD (assuming you have HD content stored that is).

16. kutchins

kutchins AllStar

Mar 20, 2004
    More information on my HDMI issue. I have a second 622 and I moved an HD TV set to where I could connect to its HDMI cable. Worked like a charm; so, the port on the other receiver (although newer) is obviously bad.

The question now will be how Dish and its tech who is due tomorrow pm will deal with the issue. Perhaps he'll have another receiver on his truck. Otherwise, I'm guessing they'll have to send one out. I can't imagine what the "supervisor" was thinking when he/she said it requires a roof top adjustment.

Thanks again to all who posted.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The 622 commonly have bad HDMI ports. The HDMI connector is only surface-soldered on to the motherboard, and it doesn't take much to pop off a couple of connections. The HDMI port on the 722s was reinforced to prevent this problem. In any event, be gentle with your 622.

18. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Actually, the question now is why you don't call Dish with the new info and save theme the cost of an unneeded service call - and get a replacement 622 on its way to you.

19. kutchins

kutchins AllStar

Mar 20, 2004
    The tech assigned the service call phoned last night and I gave him all the information. He will be bringing a replacement box when he comes by this afternoon. He agreed the roof solution mentioned in the initial phone call made no sense.

Of course, there's the warranty issue. I don't have one. He suggested signing up for the $5.99 per month plan to permit him to exchange the 622 at no charge and then (as I've read here before) cancel the service in a month.

20. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Like many others have posted, all outputs on the 622/722 are active at all times and have been since the initial release of this family of receivers (I have had initial versions of each).

The 622 has an inherent problem with the HDMI connection to the circuit board and can easily break (happened to me twice before I upgraded to the 722).

As far as replacement, you don't need a warranty since you lease the box, it's always covered for support. What you CAN do is buy a 'protection plan' called the Dish Home Protection Plan (DHPP) which reduces how much you pay for replacement shipping and service calls.

Without a plan if you need a receiver swapped via mail it will cost you $14.95, if you need someone to come onsite it could cost you up to $99.

With the plan, shipping of parts/receivers if free and your onsite service costs are discounted to $29.