1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Audio

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by apulo, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apulo

apulo Cool Member

May 27, 2007
    Am I the only one that would love an option to shut off audio output through the HDMI port?

My DVD player does this and since I have both the HR20 and my DVD player connected to my surround system, I'd really like to shut the audio off to both. What I consider to be a shortcoming of my TV is that I can shut the audio off for everything or nothing, I'd love to be able to do so by input.

Thoughts?

2. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    The way I have done it on mine is to either not connect the speaks (Pioneer plasma) or just turn the speakers off. I run all my audio to my surround system and ONLY listen to it that way. The components can send all the audio they want to the TV's but it it will never be heard :)

As for your individual question. This is a model specific question. My suggestion would be to ask over on AVS forums specific to your TV (flat, crt, manufacturer, etc) as I am sure you will get an answer much more quickly.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Doesn't seem like a really big deal to set the volume on the TV to zero. That's what I do.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Unless you actually use the tv speakers, the best option is to just turn them off in the tv's setup menu. Most modern tv's have this capability, and it prevents any low hiss from coming from the tv's speakers

5. generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    I use componet for this reason. I feed my computer via VGA and a standard PC audio and it's a pain to have to adjust the volume all the time. So my HR20 connects via componet for video and optical to my surround sound.

6. apulo

apulo Cool Member

May 27, 2007
    The only reason that this bothers me is that my Wii is connected to my TV speakers. I could solve this problem with a pair of RCA extension cables so that I could connect the Wii to the surround system but I'm way too cheap and lazy to do so ;)

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Come on, don't you want to bowl in surround sound? :D

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Wow, that IS cheap and lazy...Kudos....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.