1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HDMI Cable & Internet Access

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by VaJim, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Aug 5, 2013 #1 of 14
    VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    Hopefully this week we'll be getting the HR44. We plan to keep our 2 HR21-100/700. We'll also be getting a new HDTV (either Samsung or LG/non-smart tv).

The new HDTV will be running one of the HR21's. I also plan to use the wired CCK.

Is there a particular type or brand of HDMI cable that works best? Where to purchase? (This would be for the new HDTV)

In using the wired CCK, will I be able to access the TV's manufacturer website to do a firmware update if necessary?

Thanks!

2. Aug 5, 2013 #2 of 14
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You should not need the CCK with the HR44. It has wired and wireless built into it already. It connects to the internet with the Ethernet cable.
    Once it is connected it connects all units in the system to the internet thru the coax cables ( as long as they are whole home compatible ).

3. Aug 5, 2013 #3 of 14
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Monoprice.com for your cable needs.

4. Aug 5, 2013 #4 of 14
    VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    OK....I wasn't sure. I do know that where I plan to set the HR44, there is no access to my Internet router for it is in another room. The router will actually be in the room where the new HDTV will go. That's why i was thinking I would need the CCK.

5. Aug 5, 2013 #5 of 14
    VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    Thank you sir...I will check this out!

6. Aug 5, 2013 #6 of 14
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You're welcome. There's a interesting article on Solid Signal Blog titled "HT Guys confirm it...cheap HDMI cables are just fine". Worth reading.

7. Aug 5, 2013 #7 of 14
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You can hook up with the CCK but don't set up the wireless capability of the HR44 also. I have read more than one post that they were having problems and it turned out that they had connected to the internet 2 times on the same system.

8. Aug 5, 2013 #8 of 14
    VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    Gotcha....the last installer that was here was talking about running the CCK in the room upstairs with the new HDTV (that's where the router is). This will be one of the HR21. I guess what he planned to do was run a ethernet cable to the router and then back to the CCK/HDTV. This would then bring the Internet to all receivers. So then I wouldn't set up the wireless on the HR44 but would need to set up the 'home network'.

9. Aug 5, 2013 #9 of 14
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    actually the installer will run coax to your router and connect the CCK there.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    In using the wired CCK, will I be able to access the TV's manufacturer website to do a firmware update if necessary?

Thanks!

No, some TVs have WiFi built in, if yours do not have it, then you are going to have to run an ethernet cable to it or you might be able to download FW via USB stick

11. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    Thanks. The new HDTV will not have wifi built in. So the cck will give it access to the Internet but then again it won't.

12. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    The CCK is giving your RECEIVER access to the internet. Which you are viewing on your TV. Your TV is not accessing the internet. By using coax, all your receivers will be able to access the internet via the CCK. It is really pretty slick! If you have a good router, you might play around with the wireless in the 44 just for the fun of it.

13. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    Thanks...Gotcha....we'll deal with what we have (if we ever get the HR44). I was thinking more along the lines of once the cck is hooked up and the receiver SHARES the internet with the TV (imagine that) then I could go into the TV setup and check for firmware updates. I've done the CD/flash drive updates before and that's no fun. I'll just wait for technology to catch up.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks...Gotcha....we'll deal with what we have (if we ever get the HR44). I was thinking more along the lines of once the cck is hooked up and the receiver SHARES the internet with the TV (imagine that) then I could go into the TV setup and check for firmware updates. I've done the CD/flash drive updates before and that's no fun. I'll just wait for technology to catch up.
    WHile this is possible with some "modifications" to the DECA network, it would really slick if/when DirecTV supports internet via HDMI