1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI no 5.1 sound

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by freon, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 3, 2006 #1 of 14
    freon

freon New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    I am using the HDMI connection and I get picture and sound to the TV, but the sound does not get to my reciever. When I use my local antanna input the 5.1 sound works fine so I know my TV to reciever connection is ok. Does anyone else have this problem? I suppose I could use the optical connection but I shouldn't have to. I have tried all the dolby options on the 622 and it is still quiet on the reciever.

2. Mar 3, 2006 #2 of 14
    tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    I believe that HDMI does not support dolby 5.1 right now. It will in future upgrades.

3. Mar 3, 2006 #3 of 14
    High_Deaf guy

High_Deaf guy New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Question: Does your TV speaker works with the HDMI cable?? Are you connecting the TV output to the receiver?

4. Mar 3, 2006 #4 of 14
    ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Well...a quick search on HDMI sound on Google seems to indicate that DD 5.1 sound over HDMI is still a moving target. The HDMI specs say it can do 8 channel sound so you would think DD 5.1 would work. However, being so new, there could be differences in the level of support in different devices. For example, maybe the TV does not handle the DD 5.1 properly when in comes from the HDMI connection but it does with an OTA broadcast.

If you get DD 5.1 sound from the TV when using the HDMI connection then the problem is not the 622. It's the TV that is not passing it onto the receiver.

5. Mar 3, 2006 #5 of 14
    airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    Off topic, but I still think video should be separate with audio. If HDMI supported 5.1, it's cool and ideal, but does your TV speakers support 5.1? Sure, HDMI can be distributed using a receiver that has HDMI distribution, but how many sub-$300 receivers have them.

6. Mar 3, 2006 #6 of 14
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    From http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp
    Does HDMI support Dolby 5.1 audio and high-resolution audio formats?
    Yes. From the start, HDMI was defined to carry 8-channels, of 192kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio, which exceeds all current consumer media formats. In addition, HDMI can carry any flavor of compressed audio format such as Dolby or DTS. ... The fact that the vast majority of HDMI products shipped are two-channel TVs that don’t support more than two-channel audio doesn’t make this any less the case. Most existing HDMI sources can output any compressed stream, ...​
    Perhaps this is why Dish seems to have gone out of their way to not refer to their multi-pin HDTV Digital Audio/Video interface as "HDMI."

7. Mar 3, 2006 #7 of 14
    liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    So are you saying that the ViP622 does not have HDMI capability but is instead some degraded version?

8. Mar 3, 2006 #8 of 14
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    It could be that Dish isn't calling it HDMI because they aren't following the spec (I don't know this, just see they aren't supporting this original feature), or they could later add DD5.1 to their digital video interface which is the other way to read what tomcrown1 said.

9. Mar 3, 2006 #9 of 14
    John Ashman

John Ashman Mentor

Feb 2, 2006
    HDMI isn't fully developed. Very few products can either transmit or receive 5.1 sound, let alone 7.1 24/96. But it doesn't matter. Simply add a single toslink and you'll get the exact sound you want. This is far from unusual.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I don't think it is that as much as most TVs don't have a way for you to route the 5.1 out of the TV to the surround. That is the way mine is. It has an HDMI connection, but only has 2 speakers so 5.1 won't be there in any useable form. It also only has the standard L/R coax outputs to go to an external amp. 5.1 and above only are present on digital audio outputs, HDMI, optical or coax.

As you said, to get 5.1 or better, you need to use the optical audio out OR have a home theater system that also does the video switching with HDMI.

11. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    This assumes that the receiver in question (Dish or other) is sending a DD5.1 signal though the HDMI cable for a Home Theatre System with HDMI switching support to do anything with the signal in the first place.

One again tech companies from all over are perhaps providing gear without full support for everything it was designed to do..

12. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    HDMI has "supported" 5.1 for a long time. It can only work where both the source and sink support it. The source (i.e. DISH receivers) reads specific addresses of the sink during the initial negotiation to determine what that sink is capable of (both audio and video). Over in the 942 forums, someone did have a A/V receiver that switched HDMI and could get 5.1 from his DVD player via HDMI but couldn't get 5.1 from the 942. My TV does have Toslink out to an A/V receiver that sends 5.1 from OTA, but not when sourced by the HDMI connection. In my case, I don't think the TV declares itself to support 5.1 for HDMI negotiation and even if it did, the 942 wouldn't supply it on HDMI - only Toslink where nothing is negotiated. The 622 could be the same or could be different. Even if my 942 got an update to support it, I wouldn't expect to get 5.1 unless I connected it to a sink that actually supported 5.1 itself (rules out most TVs).

13. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    What makes HDMI desirable, from a consumer point-of-view, is having a single simple connection that passes both video and full surround audio. I already know HDMI wasn't developed or released to benefit the consumer but utilizing the full feature set would offer an advantage that could help take the edge off the DRM nonsense.

14. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    The DRM nonsense is going to ruin just about everything unless Congress wakes up and smells the coffee, because its only going to get worse. If it were up to the MPAA and friends, there would not have even been a VCR 30 years ago or so..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.