1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI nuisance

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by njmurvin, Mar 6, 2013.

1. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    I have an uncommon setup. My main system in the family room is connected via component cables (long story why this is the case) and I recently decided to use the empty HDMI port to power a TV behind the wall in the guest room. I bought a long cable and cheap RF remote extender from Amazon and I was off to the races. Everything worked great as planned ..... until .....

As the guest room TV will only be used occasionally, it is mostly turned off. When I tuned in HBO on my HR21 back in the family room where the component cables are used, I received a message that my TV is incompatible with the digital content protection and I should use component cables. I figured out there must be a handshake (HDCP?) attempted on the HDMI cable and, with the TV turned off, it couldn't do it so it generated the message. After a little testing, I confirmed it. I can watch HBO (those are the only stations I've found to be a problem) on my family room TV only if I have the guest room TV turned on or cable unplugged. While this is a mild annoyance, it is something I can live with.

Any suggestions how to configure this to avoid this problem - aside from switching the cabling around? There is a reason it is set up that way and I'd rather not go into it.

ON EDIT: I thought of something ... if I put a powered HDMI splitter in between the HR21 and the TV, would the splitter do the necessary handshake to let the DVR continue on when the TV is off or would the TV still have to be powered on?

2. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Went thru this same thing myself with a client that I fed the HDMI to the main TV, w/component outs going into a component distribution amp f/other HDTV's. I don't believe a powered splitter will do you any good, as it (still) will NOT give the handshake the receiver needs while you have the HDMI cable still connected to a non-powered device.
    There ARE (matrix) HDMI switchers that will accomplish this - but they are pretty costly.
    FYI, there's probably going to be MORE channels this is going to happen on in the future, since the MPAA is SO paranoid of somebody copying a movie for personal use. :rolleyes:

I ended up ditching the HDMI connection altogether & putting the main TV on component as well...

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I used two TVs in the same room, with 4 DVRs connected, one each by HDMI and the other via a component switch box, from about 2008-2011, and never saw any problem at all.

I guess what this means is that it is technically not really an issue, but becomes one only if the vendor employs some sort of DRM within the content. I know they are trying deperately to fill the analog hole, and this smells like that sort of attempt. Shame on them.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    At least one of the powered splitters from Monoprice ($45 or so) solves this problem. You connect the HDMI-connected TV to one output of the splitter, leave the other one empty. When the HDMI-connected TV is off, the splitter maintains the HDCP compliance and so the component connection continues to work.
    Can't remember which exact model number this is but maybe someone can post it.