1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI splitter to Cat5/6 less then 100ft

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ctsmd, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ctsmd

ctsmd AllStar

Aug 9, 2007
    I would like to send the output from my main TV to a slave monitor in the kitchen.

I have an HR24-200 and was looking at a HDMI splitter off the DVR to a HDMI to Cat 5/6, then a Cat 5/6 run of 45-60 feet and then a Cat5/6 to HDMI, then HDMI to TV/Slave monitor.

Has anyone done this and is this a logical setup. And would it work if splitter was active and HDMI to Cat5/6 converters passive?

Any thoughts????

Thanks

Carl

2. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I did this at my old house and it worked great. There was an occasional "hiccup" that would cause the screen to go black on the remote tv for a second or two and it might happen once a day or so, depending on how much the TV was on....I never knew if it was related to the HDMI splitter or the HDMI over Cat5e/Cat6 adapters, but it wasn't annoying enough to make me change anything.

Basically my setup was an HR22 in the garage feeding this splitter:

[​IMG]

Link To HDMI Splitter

with one feed going into my 37" LCD tv in the garage, and the other feed going into this:

[​IMG]

Link To Cat5e/6 to HDMI Adapter

I ran 2 runs of Cat5e of about 45-50 feet (including wall drops) through the attic into my sons room and into his 26" LCD tv. One more caveat.....the HDMI Over Cat5e/Cat6 boxes are a bit big and I had to trim the low voltage wall plate bracket a bit to make them fit in these....

[​IMG]

Link To Low Voltage Wall Plate Bracket

Hope that helps and is what you were looking to do! :D

3. ctsmd

ctsmd AllStar

Aug 9, 2007
    Thanks for the info.

That is similar except only one TV will use the Cat 5/6 wiring

4. martinbush1986

martinbush1986 New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    There are 2 options. You can use a HDMI Splitter and an active HDMI Extender or you can use a Cat5 HDMI Splitter extender with 2 outputs. I have used KVMSwitchTech's HDMI Extender solutions in the past and they work well.

5. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I only used one TV with the Cat5/6 extender, but the extender requires 2 runs of Cat5/6, thats why I had 2 runs, does that make sense? :lol: If you look at the link it'll show the instructions and it should be clear :D

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I use a 60ft HDMI cable(Monoprice)from my ATI video card in my desktop computer straight to my Sony TV with no extenders and it works perfecly. IIRC I used a 24 ga cable