1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI switch box

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gregftlaud, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Apr 9, 2011 #1 of 12
    gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Can anyone recommend a good brand HDMI switcher/switch box that I can get from like best buy or amazon.com?

Thanks

2. Apr 9, 2011 #2 of 12
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
  3. Apr 9, 2011 #3 of 12
    gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    I decided not to get the new audio receiver i found another sony receiver with 3 digital outputs.

So i went ahead and got an HDMI switcher from amazon. Says u dont have to push the buttons on the switcher everytime u want to switch between devices........automatically senses which device is on and switches automatically

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K9GCU6

4. Apr 9, 2011 #4 of 12
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Many components output some power even when their off, so that feature may or may not work.

I see you also posted about cables before.

You need to bookmark monoprice.com

5. Apr 9, 2011 #5 of 12
    gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    I appreciate the link to monoprice but i'm not gonna buy from them. I have an amazon.com Prime Membership and I get one day shipping for 3.99 plus they basically have all the same hdmi cables (or at least equal in price) as ones monoprice has. I order something on amazon with my prime membership i get it the next day.........dont have to wait for processing time etc etc like u do when u order stuff from most websites.

And that's ok if the automatic switch doesnt work i have a Harmony One remote i can just add the switcher to it and switch it remotely

6. Apr 9, 2011 #6 of 12
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I too have Prime, but buy lots of stuff from monoprice. Why the need to have things next day?

Besides, anything equivalent on Amazon will cost more than it will on monoprice (like the HDMI cables you bought).

But, whatever works for you, it's your money.

7. Apr 9, 2011 #7 of 12
    gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Why have the need to have something the next day? Well if u really need a replacement for something or have a setup and need to use it then u want it the next day u dont want to day 4-5 days.

Cost more on amazon?? Dont think so. I had bought the mediabridge hdmi's from amazon but then cancelled that order and got some blueriggers for 4.95. Then I pay 3.99 for shipping. About 9 bucks and have the hdmi cable the next day. Beat that on monoprice with the one day shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GW5PTY

8. Apr 9, 2011 #8 of 12
    RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Monoprice to our area is 3 days on average. I too have Amazon Prime but still find monoprice better price wise.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Some of the directv have issues with some of the hdmi switches. I know this one works perfectly, and its remote controlled.. I would never rely on a auto sensing switch personally...

If that one doesn't work out, I'd say get this one, I use it and I got one for my folks setup too, and all is good...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5081&seq=1&format=2

I know the true matrix ones do NOT work properly with directv receivers. You have to turn it on after its input is selected with the true matrix ones...

And I think amazon won't mind if you buy one thing from someone else, and they have very good customer service at monoprice, just as amazon does...

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is the one I bought because I didn't want to buy a new AV receiver. It has HDMI and Toslink inputs/outputs which allows you to send HDMI to your TV and Toslink to your AV receiver.

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006

I have the 5x1 you pointed out as well as the 4x1 from monoprice. While they work pretty much the same I prefer the 4x1 because the 4x1 powers off and the LED's are only lit when it's on and only the selected input's LED lights up. With the 5x1 you can't turn it off and the LED is always on, it just changes color to indicate which input is selected.

If you only need 4 inputs I suggest the monoprice 4x1 over the 5x1.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I bought one of them. I'd suggest you send it back. It will probably work well with BD players and other HDMI products, but doesn't work well with the HRs. You need a powered HDMI switch. There is an optional power receptacle on the one you bought, but for some reason they don't ship you the power supply for it. I think it's a 9 volt supply. If you have an old 9 volt transformer (or whatever you call them), you might try using it. Let us know if you do, I'd be interested in that.

Rich