1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI to Composite converter

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by swbca, Apr 12, 2013.

1. swbca

swbca Cool Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Minneapolis,...
    We Had a Hopper and 2 Joeys installed 2 weeks ago, resulting in an overhaul of our TV related cabling and systems which had been untouched for years.

Its nice that DishTV remotes are UHF because we have both Joeys modulated back onto the original coax system for about 4 plain old TV's in secondary locations, each with a Joey remote control. Its also great the Joey will play HDMI and Composite at the same time to support the TV plus the Modulator.

My Question: finding there is no way to distribute NetFlix and Amazon-Prime video across the DishTV system, I ended up with a RoKu3 for NetFlix etc. RoKu3 also has a very long range UHF remote control but does not have composite output - to connect to a modulator.

If I use a good quality 1 to 2 HDMI ampifier/splitter plus an HDMI to Analog converter in order to provide composite for the ChannelPlus modulator, am I going to end up with a junk picture or will it be comparable to the modulated Joey progam ? All the components sound lile a way to get a bad picture, but I have no way to know. Are the 1-2 amplified splitters good ? Are the HDMI to Analog converters good ? If both items are good, maybe the modulated pictures will be as good as the modulated Joey program.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    should be same, or so ... anyway whole task to degrade signal [PQ] doesn't look as thing what I would spend money for :(

3. swbca

swbca Cool Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Minneapolis,...
    How would you recommend getting Dish or Other programming into secondary locations, like laundry rooms etc. Don't want to pay by the month for each room. The modulated programming from Joey's is working OK for these rooms. Not great PQ, but the're old 13" and 18" TVs.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    WiFi, tablet, DishAnywhere would be my choice

5. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    The Ch+ mod you're already using for the DISH prog works just fine for secondary/older TV's, such as you describe. I do the very same thing w/my Ch+ stereo mods, as it is NOT necessary for me, to have a "pristine" picture on my laundry room, garage, or (unfinished) basement CRTV's.

To go back to your issue w/the Roku, it would actually be MUCH cheaper if you just bought an Roku XS while they are still available, as it was the top-of-the-line unit that had BOTH HDMI & composite outputs. I just bought one off E-bay, as I plan on doing the very same thing you are wanting to do w/modulating it's output as well. Also, the composite output will come in handy, if I would possibly want to run it into a DVD recorder, or the (analog) audio output into a simple audio system.

If you really want to do the 1-2 HDMI splitter/D-A converter thing, it should work fine for an SD modulated signal...but seems a waste of $$$, in lieu of the above solution...

6. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I use the Monoprice HDMI to composite converter to connect a TiVo Premier to a modulator. The picture and sound are excellent in all rooms of my house.

7. swbca

swbca Cool Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Minneapolis,...
    Like you suggested, when I discovered the RoKu Remote Control APP I connected a RoKu-2XD to a ChannelPlus modulator . . . but the RCA output is disabled if anything is plugged into the HDMI output so the 2XD is for the modulator only. The RoKu Remote Control APP works on the local WiFi network so this Phone-Based Remote works well at every TV in the house. Its only a hassle when the phone rings and you can't get to the RoKu controls to pause the program to take the call.

The ChannelPlus modulator is much better than the Radio Shack unit it replaced. Even on a 19" HiDef TV the picture quality is pretty good most of the time.

Since the HDMI and RCA outputs don't work at the same time on the 2XD, I have a RoKu3 for the main TV room.

The final piece that makes this all workable, the DishTV 40.0 remote control can be used to switch the TV Source from HDMI to Cable to watch NetFlix in the 2 "Joey rooms" but only after you turn off "Limited Mode" on the Dish remote control.

8. swbca

swbca Cool Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Minneapolis,...
    Thats good to know; your TiVo must have two HDMI outputs ? I gave up on the converter idea in my situation because I would also have to add the HDMI amplifier/splitter and it just got too messy and expensive. (RoKu-3 >>>> amplified-splitter >>> Converter >>>> modulator) versus (RoKu-2XD >>>> modulator).

This simpler option only works because the RoKu Remote Control App for phones allow control from anywhere in the house. (RoKu3 has its own RF remote and RoKu2 doesn't.)

I just tried to find the Monoprice HDMI to Composite converter you mentioned. Found many Monoprice converters but not that one. Do you have a model number ?