1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HDMI Wireless Replicator: Why hasn’t Anyone Created this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Reaper, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    In my TV room I have the following video components:

FiOS HD DVR
    DirecTV HD DVR (for NFL ST)
    Blu-ray player
    HD DVD player
    Roku Netflix player
    Two (2) 400 disc DVD changers
    XBOX 360

All video components are connected to my audio receiver and TV via a single HDMI cable (I use an 8 port Monoprice HDMI switch and a JVC AV receiver with HDMI support).

I don’t currently have a TV in my bedroom but if I did I’d want access to all of these video components in both locations, without having to repurchase all of these cool (but expensive) toys.

Imagine two components comprising an "HDMI wireless replicator": a “sending” unit located in this case in the TV room that has a simple HDMI pass through to the TV. It broadcasts a signal over a wireless network to the "receiving" unit, which is connected to the bedroom TV via HDMI.

All video and audio components are controlled with a universal RF remote, like the Harmony 900. How cool would that be?

2. Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot Legend

Oct 11, 2007
  3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers DIRECTV A-Team

Sep 22, 2006
    I have friends in the whole house audio/video and home theater business. They have tried every wireless hdmi "solution" they could find. Not one has performed to any level of success.

There is a working industry group addressing the problem.. but then we know how long it took the wireless "N" working group to come up with a final specification.

Problems they told me about include high suceptibilty to interference, constant buffering, screen freezes, poor audio...

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Most folks don't realize the HUGE volume of data that's going over their HDMI cables. Just the video alone is 6 times the size of SD video, and then there is the multichannel audio. And all of that has to be streamed in real time over a micro-powered radio connection and arrive in the proper order. It's a lot tougher than most folks realize.

5. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    Thanks Aztec Pilot, I knew there had to be people smarter than me at work on something like this. :)