1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HDTV Breakthrough for DBS?

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by Mike123abc, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    When reading the HDTV forum's updates, they had a pointer to this for cable, but when reading it I thought it would be 100x better fit for DBS!

http://www.digitalbroadcasting.com/content/news/article.asp?DocID={66B03F01-D64D-11D6-A78B-00D0B7694F32}&Bucket=Current+Headlines

Essentially it takes 4 HDTV channels and converts them form fixed bit rate to variable bit rate on the fly. It allows a cable system to put 4 HDTV channels in a single channel (up from the current 2). Since a single DBS transponder (8PSK) is about the same (or more if turbo coded) than a single cable channel (256 QAM), this would allow a DBS operator to put 4 HDTV channels on a single transponder.

This would be a major breakthrough for DBS. If DBS could use a single transponder to send the big 4 (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX) in HDTV, it could allow the top 20-30 DMAs to be served pretty easily. E* could use 10 transponders from each "wing" sat to hit the top 20 markets. They could even throw in WB/UPN/PBS for the top markets with another transponder.

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Another attachment I need to buy for my 6000? :)

3. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    It's just so difficult for the DBS companies to change encoding schemes. I guess HD is a bit better because there aren't too many boxes out there.

I'm just not sure what the chances are of them making a change.

4. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    It will probably take a new box. I doubt that the 6000 is ready for a true VBR HDTV bit rates. I know, this will cause people to really squawk. Look at how much squawking has gone on from the 5000 users unable to receive just one channel without changing boxes.

If they have a merger it will help 100x since they would probably replace all the boxes for free.