1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV by 2006 deadline a pipe dream

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by mainedish, Jun 28, 2004.

1. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    According to estimates from industry experts at the recent Consumer Electronics Association HDTV Summit in Washington,, D.C. digital television must have a 85 percent market penetration for analog to cease.
    Estimates from industry experts now say it may be 2009 to 2020 before this happens.
    Check out page 13 of Electronic House for the full story. My best friend just got a HDTV and after seeing this story is taking it back.

2. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Your friend was wise in purchasing an HDTV. That statement sounds like NAB propaganda.

3. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    I have HDTV but you should read the story on page 13 of the July 2004 issue. I am not saying it is fact or not. But it is something that should be looked at. CEA Chief Executive office Gary Shapioro said more like 2012.

4. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I think all that is required by 2006 is broadcast with digital signals right?

There is no requirement to have a HD signal, right?

Still I doubt 85% of sets will receive a digital signal by then.

5. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    According to the story they must have 85 percent penetration for analog to cease.

6. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    What is the current penetration?

7. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    The story also said don't disregard Direct-view TVs with the big cathode ray tubes.

8. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
  9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Your friend is an idiot.....birds of a feather, perhaps???

10. Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Actully the law concerning what constitues the 85% penetration has been interpeted, reinterpeted and re-reinterpeted. As the FCC now sees it, subscribers to any "digital" TV service(dbs and digital cable now included) count as part of the 85% threshold. Right now that would be 67% (51% digital cable, 14% dbs, 2% OTA) and the FCC now thinks 2009 as the most likely analog shut off.

11. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    I for one love HDTV but they will not be ready to broadcast by the end of 2006. It just won't happen.

12. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Who isn't ready? We already have digital TV today. :confused:

13. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003

The FCC has mandated that by May 2006 that all broadcasters broadcast DTV signals. Over The Air transmissions but not DTV through Cable or Satellite companies. HDTV takes up a lot of bandwidth and it is up to the Cable and Satellite companies to move from sending you regular Analog to true DTV signals. This also means that broadcasters can send DTV signals that are of lower resolution then that of true HDTV.

14. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Full HDTV broadcast? What are you talking about? There is nothing to force providers to have HDTV, just broadcast in digital. Its all about shutting off the analog signal, not about HDTV.

**NOTE** - mainedish edited his post after I wrote this. I'll remember to quote him so he can't change what he wrote again. :rolleyes:

15. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    The analog signal will not be shut off in 2006. Try 2010 at the very least.

16. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    51% have DIGITAL cable? Cable maybe. Butt aht sounds like a rather loose interpretation of receivbing a digital signal.

17. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Right, but what does that have to do with HDTVs? You are confusing the issue. The transition from analog to digital does not mean there will be more HD signals.

18. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    I just posted a link to a story I am reading. I don't know what will happen. But I do believe the switch from analog to dtv will be much slower then what is being told to you at the local electronic store.

19. Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Yep. Overall cable penetration in the is US is 70%. 3 in 4 cable households have at least one TV connected to digital cable, that's the key. As long as one TV is connected to digital cable it counts toward the "digital" conversion. The belief is that if analog dissapears cable/dbs would pick up the digital signal and distribute that instead, thus "converting" all those households to digital.

20. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003