1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV Not Displaying Correct Resolution

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by AED55, Nov 2, 2008.

1. AED55

AED55 AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Just purchased a Panasonic 720P Plasma TV and am very happy with the HD piture I am receiving from DN. Just one thing has me puzzled. When I am receiving an HD signal from the 722 box the info display on the TV indicates it is receiving a 480i signal. It does the same thing if a tune to an OTA HD station.

I would say the TV is just not indicating the correct resolution, but when I play a DVD on a player with upconverting capability, the TV indcates it is receiving 1080i input. Both the 722 and DVD players are connected to the TV via HDMI cables.

This is no big deal, I was just wondering if this a quirk with the TV or the 722.

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Did you access the HDTV Setup menu and set your TV Type and Aspect Ratio according to the manual?

3. AED55

AED55 AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Bingo! I had set the aspect ratio to 16x9, but neglected to set TV Type to 720p, guess I was in too much of a hurry to start experiencing HDTV. The resolution is diplaying correctly now. Just curious, does this setting effect anything else, seems like nothing else changed except the TV is displaying the correct resolution now

Thanks for the info.

4. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Considering 480i is standard definition and 720p is high definition, it's the difference between watching in high definition and... not. On high definition channels, when they're broadcasting true high definition content, you should see a better picture. On standard definition channels, the picture will likely be pretty similar, although it depends to some extent on whether the scaler in the 622 is better than or worse than the one in the TV.