1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hdtv pack question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SamK, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamK

SamK New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    I searched the forum but could not find any info on this question. I currently subscribe to a couple international channels and thats it. I was wondering if I can add the Hd pack or is their some sort of requirement (ie at50) and secondly, where would I need my dish pointed too. Finally is the 811 receiver the way to go for hd? Thanks :)

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Welcome to DBSTalk, SamK! :hi:

You should be able to add the HD Pak channels. You're already paying the $5 fee because you're not subbed to one of the AT packages, so your bill should go up only the $9.99/mo for the HD pak.

Most of the HD channels are on the 110 satellite now, except for the CBS channels out of New York (on 61.5) and Los Angeles (on 148). HBO and Showtime HD and the PPV HD are also still duplicated on 148, although they are also on 110.

Is the 811 the way to go? You'll get varying answers about that one, and as I don't own an 811, I personally don't really have an opinion about it.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You can have HD without any other programming. They will charge you $5 per month as a programming fee (the same $5 they tacked on your international channel bill). The trick would be where the HD is hosted. Most likely your international dish is pointed to a "wing" satellite - 61.5 or 148. HD is currently on 110. So you will probably need a two dish solution.

The 811 can be had if one is willing to make a commitment. Check the promo out on the DishNetwork website to see exactly what they require.

JL

4. SamK

SamK New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Thanks for the replies and for the warm welcome. I actually have a 110/119 on the roof since the international stations were previous there (been a sub since 1998) and then I put up a 61.5 myself so I have 2 total dishes going. The thing is that Comcast doesn't offer those channels (except for ESPNHD) and I'm willing to buy a receiver just to get those additional channels for $10 a month.

I forgot to ask, what retailers sell the 811?

5. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Sears.com (and some Sears stores) should have them when they are back in stock. Currently, they are showing them as sold out.

I would guess that non-chain independent retailers should be able to order you one also.

However, as an existing subscribers to Dish, your best bet might be to go through Dish directly. They still have a promo going for the 811, I believe, although I'm not sure what it requires (since you have int'l only, maybe you don't qualify). Worth a call, at least.

- John...

6. AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression Godfather

Aug 16, 2003
    Why don't you switch to Dish entirely? Just curious.

7. SamK

SamK New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Their are a couple reasons.

1. We have 2 cable providors in the area so the "threaten to leave" call works with Comcast. I am getting internet+digital cable+HBO for $65 a month. Not to mention that I have 4 tv's. If I don't sub to Comcast for internet it goes up to $58.

2. I have a great picture on cable in my area. I've tried watching basketball and hockey on a dish and the compression kills me during action. I don't get any of that with my cable.

8. SamK

SamK New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Well I received my 811 from dishdepot.com Wow, talk about excellent service. I also got my sony xbr910 today, hooked up everything and hdtv looks great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.