1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV with Standard Dish Equipment?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fineuh4u, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fineuh4u

fineuh4u New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Hello to you all and hope you guys/gals can help!

I have purchased a Philips Full HDTV 1080p Included in the HDTV is the ATSC/NTSC Tuners... I have autoprogrammed and hoped it would pick up the digital channels through Dish Network. Only thing that I can watch is the analog channels which these channels are horrific. Really bad quality. I thought all Dish Channels were suppose to be digital.

I have a regular Satellite installed about 8 months ago, the receiver is upstairs and the channel is 3. Downstairs has just the remote which works off the frequency which works off of channel 73 to watch DISH.
    The DISH 322 receiver features two tuners for independent satellite TV viewing on two separate TV's.) The HDTV is downstairs and a regular TV is upstairs thats connected to the receiver.

I contacted DISH about my issue and they told me to reconnect everything, what a waste of time I swear. So anything I can do to watch Digital instead of analog without upgrading to anything? I do not want to spend more money on HD service or so. Or would I have to just buy an HD receiver to get the digital channels without the HD service? Ok any help would be appreciated to fix this, thanks again!

2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Why in the world would you buy a 1080p HDTV and not upgrade your Dish service to HD? You could upgrade to a 722 DVR or a 222 and still have that SD feed for your second TV. If you really don't want to spend the money use an antenna for HD locals. BTW all Dish programming is digital, but SD, from some of the more compressed stations, doesn't always look as good on that wide screen HD TV.

3. fineuh4u

fineuh4u New Member

Nov 25, 2007

I do agree with you but its always an arm & a leg when you want the extra service. I just do not understand why the FTA satellite is really nice and clear but none of the channels on Dish are clear at all.

So what if I would get the receiver ( HD) and not the monthly service would that work?

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    An HD receiver isn't going to produce a substantially better picture on SD programming than an SD receiver is.

If you had no intention of watching HD programming, you should have stuck with an SDTV. In this case, SDTV's limitations turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I can't think of any case where broadcast/satcast SD looks better on an HDTV than it does on an SDTV.

The cost of switching to an HD receiver without HD programming will be $7.99/month ($1 higher lease fee + $6.99 HD access fee). It will still look bad on a plasma; a technology that makes the problems more apparent.

5. fineuh4u

fineuh4u New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oh not sure if this would help but I have a Dish 500, yea the FTA digital signal is supberb I mean its much clearer than the Dish Channels at the moment. IE. TV Land, Food Network and the local channels are bad as well..... I just do not see why we can not purchase nice TV's and forced to buy HD channels

6. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    What FTA channels are you watching?

7. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    I think he means F(free)T(over-the)A(air).... and I weep.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If you want a "decent" picture from SD DBS on your HDTV -

#1 - Use S-Video / RCA audio - not the RF connector. At least use the composite video / RCA audio
    #2 - Watch DBS "in aspect", and get a measurement of the diagonal of the SD picture. Sit back 3 - 5 times this measurement. Do not zoom it unless the picture is showing as a letterbox (you'll see this as a "small picture" surrounded on all 4 sides (Also called "postage stamp")).

Yes - I also watch SD DBS on a HDTV, and the 2 tips above make it much more enjoyable. I watch my HD via OTA antenna, and it simply blows away the SD DBS.

But your best thing is to get the Dish HD receivers.

9. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Scooper is correct. The modulated output blown up on an HD set will not look good. Most HD sets (at least mine does) have scan converters that work quite well with S-video, but not with NTSC.

10. fineuh4u

fineuh4u New Member

Nov 25, 2007

I am watching Fashion TV, Russian channels, Persian channels I couldn't believe how clear it is. I am watching local TV right now the football games and its grainy and blurry..... I was talking to Dish again and for about half an hour they kept insisting for me to unplug my receiver, lol just amazing!:lol:

11. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    Thank God I was wrong.

To fineuh4u: Why in God's name would you shell out the cheddar for a quality, name-brand 1080p TV and a) not understand what gear you need to help you realize the full PQ for your investment, and then b) hesitate to acquire what you need to do it right once you have learned what that entails?

You're only going to get so much from that Dish SD box. Better late than never to learn that "digital" and "HD" are not the same. Don't blame Dish... you'd be in the same boat with Direct or cable.

12. fineuh4u

fineuh4u New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    your not totally wrong It is Free to air, I have both FTA and Dish network. Oh I knew the difference between the quality but I thought that I would get the same nice clear image as I did on the older TV. I bought the TV because it looked nicer, thinner and to get a decent picture but it seems everything works hand in hand to make money. Buy the TV, buy HD programming, rent the receiver, etc...... Well I bought the TV from Samsclub i can return it without a restocking fee so thats a plus... I want to go to Costco because if I use an American Express it will include an extra year of warranty.....

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are differences in bandwidth between FTA satellites and the compression E* uses. I suppose those of us that have had E* (or D*) service for a while have forgotten what less compression looks like.

14. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    OMG... seriously?...

Assuming we're talking about the same brand and model.... and even then......

The one you buy from Costco isn't going to look any better than the one you bought from Sam's Club.....................

15. fineuh4u

fineuh4u New Member

Nov 25, 2007

OMG, NOOOO I was referring to the warranty! I do not want to pay an extra 200 dollars for 3 years of warranty while I can go to COSTCO and get it free by paying with an AE card! Look I came here to get tips and to see what the deal was. Thanks for your time

16. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    I'm sorry. I misunderstood you. LOL

17. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    It is the same reason that OTA channels look better the E* (or D*) HD channels.... compression!!!!

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC

This depends on what you're watching and how good your TV handles the upscaling. Mine does fairly good on analog RF up-conversion, but S-video / composite does a noticeably better job.

BTW- my TV is an Olevia 232T 720P (actually 1366x768)

19. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Yea, I really shouldn't have spoken I guess since I don't have a tuner in mine, but just common sense would say that the S-video would be a better way to go.

20. sooner_luvr

sooner_luvr New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I just got an Olevia 237T (1080i) and just have the 522 (SD) box.

I've heard how SD looks on HDTVs, so I was expecting the SD to look worse (or the same at best) as on my Sony tube. I was surprised that to my (and to the family's) eyes, it looks even better than on the tube.

Maybe it is because it is a 1080i and not a 1080p, but the SD picture quality is really very good (obviously not as good as HD, however).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.