1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hearst, NBCU bid on Travel Channel 1st round

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Paul Secic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
  2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
  3. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    And rasslin'. Of course, rasslin' fits into the channel's theme since it (rasslin') travels around to different arenas!

Of course, the big question: Is "The Travel Channel" trademarkable? :nono2:

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I was sort of thinkng Disney would bid on it. Then it could feature all the various Disney theme parks and cruises, sort of an ongoing infomercial.:sure:

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Did it used to show poker?

6. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I am hoping it ends up in the hands of Scripps, seems to be the best overall fit out of all the channels. Although, I do remmeber News Corp does own a lot of networks you don't always think of them owning.

7. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Yeah, Scripps would probably be the best option for viewers. They seem to be far less interested in short-term programming choices being made by many nets these days.

If NBC/U buys it, they'll probably rename it the TyRyVyL Channel ;)

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Next month they're going to start showing movies one night a week. They had a promo. This is very sad becuse I like travel. Another channel going down the tubes.

9. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    I like the Chefography biographies on Food TV - it's a good programming extension that fits well with their typical cooking shows. It's sad when channels water down their formulas just to get a broader audience. Movies on Travel and on TV Land may get a little better ratings, but it makes them just another generic channel with less and less unique personality and do long-term damage to the brand.