1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Height clearance for sat. Dish?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by F1aReD, Feb 11, 2012.

1. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    Just got Directv installed 2 days ago. My Landlord came by, took one look at the dish and says he want's it moved up higher. He say's there's a building code that the dish must have a certain head clearance over a walkway? It's mounted on the side of the building, and there is a walkway that goes to the 2nd entrance. The installer didn't want to use a ladder, you can just walk right up to the dish and your face-to-face with it.

Will it cost anything to have it moved up? I agree that it is pretty low, but it's otherwise a good/neat install. The lowest signal strength I have is a 97, highest is 100.

2. krazyrs

krazyrs Cool Member

Sep 21, 2011
    1 story or 2?

It can't be too high if there is a overhang above it as it will block out the signal

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If the installer left you his phone number, call him directly (rather than DirecTV) and ask if he can move the dish based on your Landlord's requirement.

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    If you allowed him to install it there then expect a charge of $49 to have it moved. Calling the installer will most likely get you nothing. You should call DTV and explain you thought it was ok to have it there but landlord doesnt like it they will set you up an upgrade for $49 to have it moved.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Laziness, combined with an obvious lack of common sense will always result in less than satisfactory results.

6. ds2992

ds2992 Mentor

Feb 8, 2012
    call the installer if you can and then if that is no go call dtv. the holes left in the wall will be your problem to deal with as you approved the install. caulk ussually is the fix for them.

7. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    Did I spell something wrong? Last time I checked, "you're" is correct. So, the installer is lazy and I have no common sense?

8. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    It's a 3 story apartment building. I don't have the installers number, so I'll have to call DIRECTV. I don't care that it's low, infact the other buildings on my street have the dishes at the same height, so my Landlord can pay the $49 to have it moved, as far as I'm concerned.

9. Tribbs

Tribbs Mentor

Feb 12, 2012
    If there is a public walkway under the dish then there is very likely a building code for clearance. It applies to most any protusion from a building over a walkway not just for a dish. Call your local building inspector dept.