1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hello Old Friends

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Radio Enginerd, Jun 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 5, 2006
    First off, hello old friends. I've been out of the loop for some time now so be easy on me. Been with DirecTV since 2006. I'm starting to take a serious look at adding to my install of mainly HR20's, 21's and 22's (probably replace one) with one of these Genie's.

Will a Genie play nicely in a world of all older HR series DVRs or am I opening a can of worms? Will I be able to watch items recorded on the Genie from my other HR DVR's on my network like I can today with the "Whole Home" service?

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    Yes and Yes.

I installed a Genie earlier this year to accompany my HR20-700, HR20-100, HR24-500. I had zero problems integrating the Genie into my configuration. They all play well together.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Hey stranger!
    You better be careful, as if you get an HR44, you'll start hating all the older DVRs. !rolling.

1 person likes this.
  4. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes, they work great together. Keep in mind you can't go over 8 total tuners without adding a SWIM 16.

Genie = 5 tunes
    HRxx = 2 tuners
    Hx = 1 tuner.

So, without adding a 16, you can have a Genie, one HD-DVR, and one HD receiver (which how I'm set up)

If you want to keep more than one HD-DVR in addition to the Genie, you will have to have a SWM 16 installed at the time of your appointment. No extra cost as far as I recall, but they do need to know what you are doing ahead of time, or they won't bring the right stuff!

p.s., nice to see you again!

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    A Genie is just like any other DVR. Just mo' tuners and mo' features.

A SWiM-8 has an 8-tuner limit. To keep two of your DVRs, DirecTV will need to swap out your SWiM-8 for a SWiM-16.

6. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 5, 2006
    Very helpful information, thank you all. It looks like my biggest issue is going to be my SWM8.

I was going to jump on the Solid Signal deal they had the other day but I missed my opportunity. I'm not sure if I want to call DirecTV and start the process just yet. :) I assume they'll come out (or send) a SWM16 if they see my system is out of tuners. It's been 8+ years since DirecTV has been to my home so I don't even remember the process. :)

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    How true....how true... :biggthump

Welcome back R E

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes...the SWiM16 will get you all sorts of expansion.

You can likely get them to install one if you don't have enough tuners...yes....

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    They will gladly install it but they def will not send it