1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Doesn't even POST

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Ric, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    Just got back from out of town. My desktop computer was shut down and attached to a surge protector (although it was a standard one, not one of the battery backups). This AM the computer started but froze. Now it doesn't even seem to POST.

Here's the deal:
    Computer turns on - fans start up
    Nothing else seems to happen.
    Looks like no signal to the monitor - I changed out the video card but no change.
    No beeps so it seems like its not even posting.
    Before I go through and replace the motherboard - anything else to do?

Can't boot from a CD or floppy as well - nothing shows up when I put one in.

HELP!!!!

2. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Power supply?

3. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    That's what I was gonna suggest, Mikey, but I wanted someone else to say it first (since DH is actually the one in charge of the PC at our house ;)). This happened to us a couple months ago. The PS had enough juice to get it started, but not to keep it going. Replaced it and it's been fine ever since.

4. Ric

Apr 26, 2002
    thought that but fans come on - sounds like the hard drive starts to spin and the light is on for the MOBO

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Use a DMM to check the voltages on the connectors. You can get the pinout here. It's possible you lost one of your voltage rails but not another. Other possible sources of failure are bad memory, bad cpu, and bad motherboard. How old is your system? Check the area around the caps to make sure you don't see any discoloration in the board due to a leaky one.

6. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Do you get the bios text at the top of the screen before POST starts ?

7. Ric

Apr 26, 2002
    System is about 2 years old - saying to check the voltages and rails clicks a small light bulb in my head but it is extremely dimm :grin: In other words, I know what you are talking about but the a root cause analysis down that trail will leave me with a ton more questions than it may ever answer.

No - nothing ever comes on screen - monitor never gets a signal. I think I will run out to Compusa tonight and pick up a new Power supply to eliminate it as the culprit. Worse case is it still doesn't work - probably need to replace the supply soon anyway. This may be a good excuse to tell the wife we need to just buy all new parts and build a new computer!!

8. Ric

Apr 26, 2002
    Well - eliminate the power supply. I found an old Dell PS I had and just replaced the current one. Only plugged in the HD, MOBO and graphics card and still nothing. Afraid it may be something fried on the MOBO but don't want to replace it until I can know for sure.

9. Redster

Jan 14, 2004
    Just for grins and giggles,, pull the cmos battery for a minute or two then try again.

10. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Be sure to get all your data off the old HD before you change the motherboard. If you can, connect the HD to another computer, and copy the data off. Then, you can put your HD back in the case with the new MB, and try bringing it up.

I've seen it happen too often, that changing the MB leads to an unbootable system, and the OS needs to be reloaded.

11. RandallA

RandallA Legend

Feb 4, 2005
    I was going to say power supply but you said you tried another one. How many watts in the one you tried? and how many watts for the original?

I've seen power supplies that will not even power up the new motherboards. The new ones need more juice.

12. Ric

Apr 26, 2002
    Well thanks for the help and advice from everyone. Resetting the CMOS got me on the right track (i detached everything except the MOBO and video card, reset CMOS and lo and behold it booted). I was ecstatic! Started celebrating and reattaching all the cables and then the moment of truth - pushed the start button and nada. After a few moments of hitting it, went back to detaching things one by one. Finally got it started after removing the Wireless PCI card. Then doublechecked by putting it in another slot and nothing. Pulled it again and it starts.

So it looks like I need a new wireless card - never knew that a PCI card problem would keep the computer from even posting but I guess I know now!

So glad we have great computer savvy folks on the DBS board!!!

13. Redster

Jan 14, 2004
    Thats a new one on me too. I have seen network connections really slow down Windows startup but never the POST. I wouldnt even think that it had a chance to see the card before POST started. Dang computers.

14. RandallA

RandallA Legend

Feb 4, 2005
    I still believe the power supply needs to be replaced. The wireless card might require a lot of more power and it's pushing the power supply to the max. not allowing the motherboard to post.

Try this link to calculate how much wattage you need in your configuration.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp