1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! First post. Networking questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by johnstonjr1, Dec 10, 2011.

1. johnstonjr1

johnstonjr1 New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I hope this is the right area to ask this....

I am trying to network my (2) HD DirecTV recievers to my home network and need some advice on how to attempt this.

Here is my layout and what I am attempting. I have a HR22-100 in my family room and a H22-100 in my Bedroom. What I would like to do is have the HR22-100 connected to my motorola surfboard router/modem connected via cat5 to the number1 port on the back of the box, then run a cat5 cable from the number2 port on the back of the box to my H22-100. Will this allow me to have them networked. Will I be able to watch recorder shows on the DVR in my bedroom?

Option (2) Not sure if the HR22-100 ports will act as a switch. Should I run a cat5 cable from the surfboard to a 5 port switch and then run a cat5 cable to each of the HD recievers number1 ports? I think this would be the correct way to do it.

I have done a lot of research on this and haven't come up with a real solution. I want to try to stay away from hooking DECA up to the system. And just run all of my networking with the cat5 cables, seeing I already have the rooms wired.

I have read that I will have to call DirecTV CS and ask them to activate the MRV.....a 3 dollar charge per month. And that DirecTV does not support the networking method that I am trying to do. I have read that in most cases they will still activate MRV without sending out a tech to install DECA to my setup?

I am just looking for some advice and direction before attempting this. Any help from you PRO's out there would be great! I am not sure if any of this is even possible.

Thanks in advance,

-Jeremy

2. falz

falz AllStar

Aug 15, 2007
    If your Motorolla cablemodem's ports are switchports (they probably are) then just plug have an ethernet patch cable from each DVR to any free port. You then will have to convince DirecTV to activate MRV for you. There's a thread somewhere about that. I just filled out a form on their website and was able to get them to activate it without a call.

3. johnstonjr1

johnstonjr1 New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Cool! Thanks falz. Seems simple enough. I will give that a go.

4. futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr AllStar

Jun 8, 2010
    Please post the model of the Motorola Surfboard cable modem you are using. A lot of the Motorola devices are only capable of supporting one device directly plugged into it (due to cable co. restrictions). For more than one device you would need a small router between the cable modem and the other devices in your network.

I would not suggest trying to use the d* receiver as a switch. I've heard a lot of complaints about other attempts to do so. It can affect the speed of the box pretty significantly, both from a Internet connection speed on the box as well as other receiver functions such as search, guide, etc.

Please be aware that there is a difference between a switch and router if one is required. I've come across several friends who easily confuse the two..mostly due to the incorrect terminology used by advertisers today. I'll be glad to look up your modem and let you know.

5. sloh002832

sloh002832 New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Do you have a swm system bc if not all I would worry about getting a cat 5 line to your dvr at least then you can have on demand you can't really network them without

6. johnstonjr1

johnstonjr1 New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Thanks for your help guys! I just connected both recievers to my wireless modem/router and bam! Whole home Dvr. Got the whole system networked via the cat5 and can even watch live tv on my iPad! No lag or anything. This is great!