1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, I need a good antenna!

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by NYBuddy, Mar 30, 2006.

1. NYBuddy

NYBuddy AllStar

Mar 28, 2006
    I want to pull HDTV signals but I have hills around me. I have tried many indoor antennas and the only one that sort of works is a Terk amplified "bowtie" style antenna. I have come to the realization that I need an outdoor antenna. Which one should I buy and will I have to point the darn thing everytime I change my locals? :confused: Also how tall should it be?

2. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    Where in CT are you? Since some of your stations will be coming from Hartford, and others New Haven, you might need an antenna rotor.

Check this website out, www.antennaweb.org

3. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Go to AVS Forum, find the section for OTA reception and then the thread for your city, or one close to you. My guess is you can find a lot of helpful information from folks who have traveled that road before you. The "Seattle" thread brought me to OTA nirvana.

Good luck.

John

4. NYBuddy

NYBuddy AllStar

Mar 28, 2006
    I am East of Hartford about 15 miles, I do pick the Hartford stations up with the aforementioned Terk, however the signal goes in and out alot, thus the need for something bigger.

5. Apr 2, 2006 #5 of 14
    NYBuddy

NYBuddy AllStar

Mar 28, 2006
    Well I fount the best damn UHF antenna ever, it is the Terk UHF Antenna (TV32)
    I bought it from Circuit City for $79, it came with the mounting equiptment and pole. After trying every Radio Shack antenna (indoor and out) for a strong signal, I spotted this one. It truly is awesome, from my garage I picked up every channel, once I got it on the roof a few minutes later I was maxed out at 110 on all channels, and I am pulling stations 49 miles away at a 70. Just so you all know I live in a heavily wooded area surrounded by mountains. My main tower is 23 miles away and all I ever got was 70ish with my indoor Terk TV5.:jump3: So now I am happy, hope this helps someone out there. I tried em all, get the Terk UHF Antenna (TV32)!

6. Apr 2, 2006 #6 of 14
    oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    What a lot of BULL.
    How many people fall for the TERK junk
    did you try a CM 4228
    The R/S 15-2160 at $25 will out do a terk any day

7. Apr 2, 2006 #7 of 14
    oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    The terk 32 is a copy of the $25 Winegard 4400

8. Apr 2, 2006 #8 of 14
  9. Apr 2, 2006 #9 of 14
    NYBuddy

NYBuddy AllStar

Mar 28, 2006
    OK, so maybe I paid too much, it was a weekend project and I wanted it done...BUT it seems like you all agree that that Antenna is awesome!

10. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Being about 80+ miles from my network stations, I can't say. :lol: I have found that Terk is the Monster of the antenna business, most items overhyped and overpriced. They are a great marketing company though.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    In this biz, the motto is -- "Whatever works, works."

Congrats on finding a good solution.

12. dishjim

dishjim AllStar

Oct 21, 2004
    Be very careful, all the antennas listed above are uhf only antennas, hartford has both uhf and vhf HD channels. One choice would be a terk 50 or many channel master or winegard uhf/vhf antennas

13. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    No terk is awesome, and when you pay 3-4 times more for them than other brands, they are more like snake oil.

14. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I have a Winegard Deep Fringe UHF/VHF HD8200P on my house (2 story) with a rotor and pre-amp. I can pull in towers 40 or so miles away without issue.