1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - I think my wife is blind!

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by bairdjc, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    She claims that she sees NO DIFFERENCE between HD and SD programming other than "the one seems bigger than the other". :lol:

Well, I can see a HELL of a difference, even between the OTA SD and the Dish locals SD, let alone between HD and SD. I've even tried finding a program which was available in SD and HD simultaneously and switching back and forth to see if she notices the differences but NO...

Has anyone encountered someone like this before?

I even went through the trouble to reprogram some of her timers (stupid stuff I dont watch like stupidman (superman), heroes, etc) to record both the OTA HD (dish doesn't offer locals in HD here) and the dish SD version just to show her the difference, and she doesn't see one!

2. davethestalker

davethestalker Godfather

Sep 16, 2006
    When TV Land and Soap Network go HD by wife will be gitty with joy. It sucks when your spouse does not enjoy some of the same programming as you do. There is a ton of quality "modern" TV on, but she wants to watch old stuff all the time.

She does like watching Unwrapped on Food Network though ;) mmmmmm, HD food...

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Time for a new wife. :lol:

4. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    I have a friend who is EXACTLY the same way. He sees no difference. And this is coming from a guy who had lasik surgery. :confused: He tells people who are thinking of getting an HDTV to not waste their money because it's nothing but a scam.:nono2:

5. emathis

emathis Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 19, 2003
    That's funny. I tell people the same thing about lasik surgery.

6. sbturner

sbturner Legend

Jul 24, 2002
    My wife is the same way, she sees no difference, and that goes ditto for my mother. Has there been studies on this? Why some people can't see the difference?

7. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If she could see she might not be with you.

8. Miggity

Miggity AllStar

Aug 10, 2007
    Cognitive Dissonance?

9. zlensman

zlensman Legend

Jan 15, 2006
    I have come to accept this as a difference in how we process information. In general, women are more interested in the content instead of the presentation. Men are visual creatures and we find the presentation very important. Our wives have no problem with their eyesight. In an A-B comparison of a still image from an SD video and the same video in HD, they can certainly spot the differences. However, when it comes time to sit down and watch a TV show, the difference in HD does not matter to them.

I'm making broad generalizations here, but it is a gender thing. There are things that we don't notice that the wives can't believe. Do you notice when a woman changes her hair, what kind of shoes she is wearing at all times, and what her emotional state is? No?!? She will probably be shocked by your blindness to these obvious details.

Here is the ultimate test, and I have confidence that this will work well in a forum made up primarily of couch potatoes. Go look at yourself in the mirror. That woman married you and stays married to you. Do you think visual presentation was her top criterion?

Vive le difference! :kisscheek

10. Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 15, 2004
    What kind of TV do you have and how big is it + how far way do you sit?

all are significant factors...

my inlaws pick up the cheapest HDTV the could find ($600.00) and thought they were watching HD....they come to my place and see my 60 kuro"Elite and now they are not sure they even bought an HDTV.....

11. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    My wife can see the difference between HD and SD. She can't seem to notice the difference between a dishwasher that is filled with dirty dishes or clean dishes.

12. ClaudeR

ClaudeR Godfather

Dec 6, 2003
    My wife can see the difference, but it's too much bother to change the aspect ration when changing channels. She also records her soaps in SD because the HD takes up too much space. Apparently they just don't care about picture quality. It's weird because she could not stand the picture quality on cable during my 2 week experiment. This may be frustrating, but they find so many other ways to make our lives miserable.

Zlensman - very well put on the differences.

13. texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    wives are like that....just show her a show on the sd channel...then move up to the same show on HD...she should see

14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC

Umm.. if you read his post he said he tried that. Maybe you're going blind too? ;)

But seriously. I know my preference is to first watch something good, then to watch something in HD.

I'd rather watch good and new in SD than good and old in HD. I'm not going to refuse to watch something I like just because it isn't HD.

Now for sports I am a little pickier, and will watch HD games over SD games most of the time... but I would still rather watch a competitive contest in SD over a blowout in HD.

15. texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    oops...sorry...guess i am blind

Im the opposite...after having HD...i can't stand to watch SD..unless i have to. I guess i am to picky with movies and stuff...my buddy bought transformers on DVD, and wanted to watch it...but I told him not until i pick it up on HD DVD...lol

16. rphillips187

rphillips187 AllStar

Oct 14, 2007
    +1

My wife sees no difference whatsoever. I've tried switching back and forth between the same show in SD and HD and I get nothing from her.

What bothers me is that she refuses to even watch the HD channels, even when a local is actually broadcasting in HD. I'll get home from work and, sure enough, the TV is on the same old SD channels she always watches. Her excuse is always the same anyways: "The SD channels are easier to find and I can't even notice a difference anyways."

Maybe I'll block the SD channels...hmm....

17. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    well she does watch soaps but none of them are in HD (even though the OTA feed is FAR better than the E* feed). Actually I should thank D* for taking that POS "Passions" so it doesn't contaminate my DVR anymore :lol:

On several occasions I've come into the room to find her watching something in SD when it's in HD on another channel and told her to switch.

We're about 12' away from the TV when viewing and it's a Westy 37" w/720p (yes I know not a top end TV but compared to a 27" CRT there's no comparison!). To me, the biggest difference can be seen in sports, but of course she doesn't watch sports so......

18. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    I would tell her: No sex until you can explain to me why the HD channels are better. If she stars jumping full of joy, then you have a more serious problem.

19. texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    Thats what I did!

then he will have to watch SD and get no sex!

20. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Bairdjc,

If you are sitting 12 feet away from a 37 inch display, it means you are watching WAY outside of the best viewing distance for that size of Television.

The optimum Distance for viewing HD programing is to multiple the Actual Display measurement by about 1.5 that will give you the best distance from the display for HD viewing. 37 inches times 1.5 gives you 55.5 inches or about 5 feet away.

The reason your Wife can't really see a big difference between SD and HD in your home, with normal 20/20 visual Acuity, is the farthest you should sit away from your 37 inch display (with 20/20 Eye sight) to fully resolve all the detail of a 1080i 1920x1080 picture is 4.8 feet.

Check this website out with regard to Display sizes, and display placement;

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.