1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help installing a compatible box with DIRECTV SL3-SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bradshawja, Aug 15, 2013.

1. bradshawja

bradshawja New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Ok so I need some assistance in figuring out what to do about getting my satellite to work. Here is my situation I just recently moved to a new house. My last residence I rented already had a direct tv satellite installed, I am not sure what kind it was or of the specifics of it but I was able to bring my model d11 receiver hook it up to the existing connections and it worked no problem. So when I decided to move to my new location I was pleasantly surprised to see it too had a direct tv satellite attached. So I thought I could bring my d11 receiver in hook it up and it would work like a charm just like before. It didn't work at all however, and after doing some research I figured out why.

The dish at my new location is a slimline dish with a SL3-SWM LNB on it, and a two way SWM splitter. I found out that the D11 is not compatible with this SL3 LNB. So my question is what receivers are compatible with it? I was planning on buying a compatible receiver off ebay or somewhere else. If I buy a new or used receiver model that is compatible with it, I will be able to call direct tv and have them switch over my access card to the newer receiver correct? I would prefer to avoid getting the newer receiver from direct tv as I do not wish to have to get a new 2 year contract with them.

Thanks for any help.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    a D12 or an R16, R22 and all HR2x HDDVRs and H2z HD receivers are SWM compatible. DirecTV would not switch over the access card, you will need to buy a new one for $20.00

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. bradshawja

bradshawja New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Ok thanks for the info, so it is ok if I purchase the receiver myself off ebay or another site? Any idea if they will make me sign up for a 2 year commitment if I purchase a new access card?

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'm not sure how the commitment stuff works, but you need to know what you're doing to buy a receiver off Ebay. It must be "owned" or they will not activate it on a residential account (on my commercial account I've been able to activate whatever random receiver, owned or not, I buy off Ebay and even use the existing access card, not sure why they make it such a pain for residential customers)

If you own your D11, which it sounds like you might since you've been able to take it with you, there might be a way to get Directv to trade it for a owned D12, or at least provide you a D12 without creating a new 24 month commitment, so you have something that will work with the dish you have at your new house. Wouldn't hurt to call them and explain your situation and see what they can do for you. Just make it clear to them that whatever they come up with you do not want the 24 month commitment.

5. FYRPLG

FYRPLG Legend

Nov 11, 2006
    If you buy from EBAY make sure the seller provides you with the serial number so you can check with Directv if you can activate the receiver or DVR.
    Do this prior to the purchase. If seller don't answer your request you have the answer to the question if you can activate

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the D11 is your only receiver, it may (or may not) be less hassle to replace the LNB assembly on your dish with a non-SWiM version.

Having DIRECTV address the issue would engage you in a commitment as a mover.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    AFAIK, DirecTV is no longer issuing D11, so the op can call DirecTV and tell them the D11 is dead. most likely will get a D12

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk