1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help installing a HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ewto16, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1 of 21
    ewto16

ewto16 Legend

Jul 8, 2008
    I bought an HR20 off Ebay. I have it hooked up to replace one of my old receivers, which was a standard receiver.

It goes through the initial boot up stuff. It gets to step 2 of the setup and goes through the progress bar until 100%.

At this point it goes to a searching for satellites 771 screen.

I have it hooked up to Sat input 1 on the receiver. I've tried Sat input 2, but that one doesn't make the progress bar ever appear.

I called direcTV and they said that they need to send a tech out. I don't think that is the case.

Any help, as I'm stuck at this point.

Please post suggestions, but I won't be able to respond until around midnight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your help!!

2. Mar 5, 2009 #2 of 21
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Did you already have HD? What type of Dish? Did you connect the BBC's?

3. Mar 5, 2009 #3 of 21
    rabid_hobbit

rabid_hobbit Mentor

Feb 10, 2009
    To get full functionality, you will need 2 lines running to the hd-dvr, unles you are using a swm system. Also, you need a HD capable dish to get HD programming. For an HR20, you also need a b-band converter between the line coming from the satellite and sat-in 1 port.
    Also, if you bought it off ebay, you'll need to call d* to get a new access card for it.

As far as why you are getting the 771 message, check which channel you are trying to view. From your description, my guess is that you are trying to view an HD channel, and don't have the bbc connected.

4. Mar 5, 2009 #4 of 21
    spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Correct, but 2 lines aren't necessary if you just want to use 1 tuner.

5. Mar 5, 2009 #5 of 21
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Be certain to select the dish you are using during setup. THe HR20 will work with any dish, but will not receive any HD without a Slimline dish with(as mentioned earlier) the BBC's connected.

6. Mar 5, 2009 #6 of 21
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As others have noted, make sure your satellite setup correctly identifies the type of dish you are connected to. You may have to go back through sat setup and change the setting. If you do not have a Slimline dish, then you won't get any of the HD channels.

Also, buying off ebay is a risk at best. Did you get the RID and verify with DirecTV that you would be able to activate the unit?
    See previous comment about type of dish.
    Sat 1 is correct. You must always have sat1 connected.
    Post back after you have checked the items already mentioned here. If you ordered an HD DVR from DirecTV, they would have done the dish upgrade and installation for free. That might still be your best option.

7. Mar 6, 2009 #7 of 21
    ewto16

ewto16 Legend

Jul 8, 2008
    I got everything setup and working. As has been my experience since joining DirecTV, 1 out of every 4 CSRs is actually worth a crap.

The first guy I talked to, which was what led me to post here, was so clueless. All he had me do was switch the cable from Sat1 to Sat2 and reboot the box. We never ran the setup or anything like that.

Not to mention he also tried to get me to buy the protection plan, which he said would cover the tech call that he told me I needed. From looking on here previously, I know that isn't the case.

I called back about 5 minutes later and got a FANTASTIC CSR. She knew exactly what to do and got me setup and running in about 20 minutes. We had to go into the setup and select my dish (SWM), disable the extra tuner, and reboot it. Once we did that, it was just a matter of her doing whatever they do and activating it on her end.

I didn't get to mess with it much, but it seems to be working great. Thank you all for your posts. It would have all been very helpful and gotten me steered in the right direction.

As a recap, I did buy it off eBay. I did check the RID (thank you to this forum again) and I don't need the B-band converter because I have a SWM installation

8. Mar 6, 2009 #8 of 21
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: Why did you disable the "extra tuner"?
    If you're on a SWM system, both tuners in the HR20 will work off the one coax. You would only need to disable the second tuner if it would have been more than the eighth tuners on the system.

9. Mar 6, 2009 #9 of 21
    ewto16

ewto16 Legend

Jul 8, 2008
    We disabled the extra tuner in the HR20. Otherwise, I kept getting a searching for Sat (771) error message on the Sat2 input on the HR20.

I only have one cable running into the back of my HR20 and it was setup to expect 2, since that was apparently how it was connected before.

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    are you sure its an SWM dish and not a Slimline dish?
    whole point of swm was to allow both tuners using the 1 wire.

11. ewto16

ewto16 Legend

Jul 8, 2008
    Well, I think it is technically both a slimline and a SWM but I know it is at least a SWM. The HR20 has two physical inputs on the back of it. Sat1 and Sat2. It was expecting a connection on both when I first hooked it up.

Perhaps I am mis-stating it and I didn't really disable the second tuner, but merely indicated it should use one tuner as opposed to two. I do believe the option was changed from dual to single though.

Without changing that, I would need to run a second wire, which I don't have, to the Sat2 input on the back of the HR20.

12. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    just to verify, if you are recording a show can you watch another?

if so its ok, if not there is an issue if this is swm dish.

how many wires coming out of the dish itself? more than 1?

if it is swm you do not need a second wire.

13. ewto16

ewto16 Legend

Jul 8, 2008
    One wire for the dish to my house.I haven't tried to record anything yet. I'll do that now

14. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    if you can record 1 and watch another you should be all set and this would be just a terminology/wording misstate as you said earlier.

15. ewto16

ewto16 Legend

Jul 8, 2008
    I can record one program, but can't watch another live program while that is recording. I can record something and watch another program that is recorded.

I take it that is incorrect?

16. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    If you have an SWM, that's incorrect, but I have a feeling you don't have one.

17. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    You may need to power down all of your receivers and then unplug your PI (power supply). Wait about 30 seconds and then plug the PI back in. Then plug the receivers back in and hopefully it will detect the 2nd tuner on the HR20.

18. ewto16

ewto16 Legend

Jul 8, 2008
    I do have a SWM. I'm positive of this fact. I have an HR21 on my account as well and it only has one cable running into it. If I view my satellites, one of the options that comes up is the SWM. The CSR last night verified that I have a SWM.

Regardless, I went back into the Sat setup for that receiver just a few minutes ago and changed it from single tuner to dual tuner and it seems to work fine now. I was able to record something and change the channel to another program.

Apparently, it was confused on things from the original setup from the other person's house.

Anyone know how I can rest the zipcode on the receiver? It is still showing a zip code that isn't mine, but I don't know where to change that. Not sure it actually makes a difference really. It is the same time zone and such. Just the wrong state.

19. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    You should be prompted for the ZIP code when you run the Sat Setup. Otherwise, run the OTA setup and it asks there as well.

20. ewto16

ewto16 Legend

Jul 8, 2008
    I actually wasn't asked for the zip in the sat setup. I thought I would be. Does it matter if I don't have an OTA connected?