1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help...Keep tryin to get D to replace my HR20 to no avail...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hbrocks, Sep 29, 2011.

1. hbrocks

hbrocks New Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Hi everyone....my 1st post here....
    I'm looking for some advice/direction.
    Customer of D for about 10 years now.

Back in July.....I turned on the set and was greeted by a blue-screen message telling me there was a problem with my DVR Hard drive and some type disk-repair diagnostics test needed to happen (something to that effect)...

Whatever this process was it took what seemed like hours.

After the diagnostic was unsuccessful....it reports that I need to call cust service.
    We have the protection plan so CSR tells me they will send out a replacment.
    However, now we have lost all our recorded shows.....
    translation ....."DIS-SATISFIED CUSTOMER!"
    Few days later a box shows up....I open it to find...Guess what...?
    A beat-up HR 20. Scratched up...dented. Same slow crap recv'r I've had for the last 6 years
    I immediately call CS and politely complain ......to no avail.
    Call back couple weeks later and complain about the unit being slow....and they take me thru the change to "native" setup thing.

Last night I called again to politely complain and I get a really nice lady that says If I had an HR 24 I would not have these problems.....
    so she puts some notes in my account and sends me off to Tech support.....
    Tech support (who seem really nice and sounding like they wanna be helpful) tells me I should "wait" a few more months to purchase/lease a different unit because I might be able to get something for free for some untold reason....but she can't give me a straight answer about what exactly happens then....
    I'm guessing that my contract may be up at that time and they would be more willing to help me out.

Question is.....
    How can I get a better DVR ?
    I've spent hours on the phone telling them the problems with this and I'm getting nowhere!
    What's the secret handshake?

Thanks for letting me rant!

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Tell them you just bought a 3D TV.

3. hbrocks

hbrocks New Member

Sep 29, 2011
    wow...it's 'THAT' easy...!
    Awesome!

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It won't get you a new receiver for sure, but you'll at least get a HR21 or higher. You could purchase a HR24 online...It'll be a lease, cost around $199, and start a new 2 year commitment.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    To be fair, all that does is guarantee a DVR other than an HR20, not an HR24. And if what you're looking for is increased speed, you will not get that with anything but an HR24. But if you really don't want that HR20, that's a way to get it swapped out for a different model.

And hey, there's at least a reasonable chance the replacement will be an HR24. ;)

6. hbrocks

hbrocks New Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Hey Thanks Sigma...
    My conversation last night with the CSR ...they quoted me $149 for the lease. Then she said..."looking at your account, if I were you I'd wait 3 months if you can, because you can possibly upgrade for free".

So, I may stick it out Til Jan and see what the big "prize" might be.....if not...maybe then I'll do the lease deal.

wouldn't it be kewl if these Forums had a "LIKE" button for the post?
    I LIKE that idea hilmar2k...!

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    No problem. Just be aware that DirecTV can NOT guarantee you will get a HR24 from them no matter what they'll tell you. :)

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Glad to help. By the way.....

:welcome_s

9. hbrocks

hbrocks New Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks guys...!

10. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    Think it is quite a lot of BS that they are making you wait 3 months. Press the issue with them and they will give you a free one. All of my HR's have been free whether I have been in a contract or not.

11. dolt

dolt New Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I've got an HR20 and HR22. I can tell you that the HR22 is a total piece of crap compared to the much faster HR20.

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Wouldn't you have to give them the code that is generated in this scenario?

13. smolenski

smolenski AllStar

Oct 24, 2006
    What code are you talking about?

I recently upgraded after getting a 3D TV. I didn't have to give them anything and got a HR21 without a 2 year extension. But, that might be because I've had the HR20 for 4-5 years and have been a customer for 14 years.

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    When you connected your HR20 to the new 3D TV, didn't it give you an error message when you tried to watch 3D? Didn't the error message have a code to give the CSR when you called?

15. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    If it is that important to you and you definitely want an HR24 the only way to do so is to buy one from a retailer and see, no guarantee, if DirecTV will give you a credit for the purchase price. Oh, and keep in mind that will still be a leased receiver and start a new 2 year contract.

16. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    If I really wanted a different receiver and was willing to pay the $20 S & H fee I could think of some really creative ways to ensure that the unwanted receiver didn't work anymore.

Use your imagination. ;)

17. cozmo

cozmo New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I like the way you think......

18. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Guys, I presume you would not recommend that someone did creative adjustments to your cars to make them stop working.

Remember, you don't own these receivers, DIRECTV is the owner. Probably not a good idea to suggest adjustments to DIRECTV's property.

Cheers,
    Tom

19. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Agreed. I wouldn't expect any car mechanic to actually make adjustments, just to lie about it. Tell them you smelled something and you opened your entertainment center and you saw a little smoke come out. Now it won't turn on and your wife is pissed you smelled up the house. No real damage is done, except for the cost of a "thorough refurb", and a troublesome IRD is replaced. Everybody happy!

20. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    For the HR24 - I was very happy to lay out $199 and pick one up at a local retail store.

By the way, they're fast, but NOT so amazingly fast that you'll think that the HR20 is slow. I still have 2 HR20s that work fine.