1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help.. Lose some distants

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by zmark, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zmark

zmark Legend

Apr 17, 2005
    I'm subscribed to LA and NY distants, but today I just lost CBS and ABC. :mad:

This doesn't make any sense because if I'm disqualified, I should have lost all of them (at least according to the addressbroker on dishnetwork.com). But I still have NBC and FOX. I'm been a subscriber since 1997 so I should be grandfathered in to receive all of them. I've made no recent changed to my subscription.

If I've lost them for good, can anyone recommend a zipcode in the central timezone I can "move" to.

2. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    If you were granted waivers before the SHVIA law was passed in 1999, you will lose distants if your zip code is eligible for locals.

It is possible that the local CBS and ABC stations in your market demanded all customers in their DMA have distants shutoff. You will probably lose NBC and FOX sometime soon if there are affiliates in your Nielsen market.

As to areas to move to in the Central Time Zone, I don't know of any given how the new SHVERA law is written. I will have to leave that to others who live in the Central zone.

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    That's only part of the story.

Anyway, welcome aboard, zmark!

You need to call E* (yeah, I know) and maybe play CSR roulette until you find out the correct story, and/or get them back.

Please let us know what happens!

4. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Better get used to it. Distants are going to be turned off soon if you have them and have not replied back. I have Distants and decided to just lose them because I need my Locals a hell of alot more than I do Distants. I live about 70 miles from my nearest Local. But those Locals Cover my local area for weather. N.Y. and L.A. Distants don't.

5. Bahnzo

Bahnzo AllStar

May 16, 2004
    Today was the day the distant network election went into effect. Basically, if you live in a market where locals are available, dish sent you a letter stating you needed to make a descision to either keep distants and not your locals, or locals and not distants. If you didn't make this descision, then you automatically lost distants.

Losing just those two may have to do with you didn't have waivers for them, while you did for the others.

6. zmark

zmark Legend

Apr 17, 2005
    Crap. That's what the CSR said. Of course I never received any letter. They said to call the executive office tomorrow. Is the executive office generally sympathetic to problems are am I going to get the runaround?

If I always had distants and never had locals, why did I have to reply to anything? Isn't it obvious that I wanted the distants.

7. Redrhino

Redrhino Cool Member

Jun 10, 2004
    I am not 100% sure that anyone really understands who was forced to choose and who was not.

I moved last Fall (2004, well after the time to grandfather distants) and signed up for both locals and distants then. I was not sent a letter forcing me to choose one or the other. I also have not lost my distants.

This might be because Dish, for my new address, submitted waiver requests for me without me formally asking them to do so and the waivers were all approved, again without my knowledge, but I doubt it.

What I think is that for what were formally known as "white areas", where no antenna signal is possible ... and everyone agrees this is the case, no new LIL and DNS is going to be allowed. I suspect that for those with DNS where the DNS predated LIL for the DMA, they were asked to choose.

Again, I am not sure ... but I currently have both LIL and DNS.

Curiously,

Redrhino

8. zmark

zmark Legend

Apr 17, 2005
    Well, I got through to the executive office today. They basically said to **** off; we fulfilled our obligations to notify you, whether you got the letter or not means nothing. Oh, they're going to apply for waivers for, but we all know that's a pointless exercise. What possible reason would a station have for granting a waiver? I think they just offered that option to get me off the phone.

I should have known better than to expect anything else from Echostar. **** you Charlie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.