1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!... Lost CBS E/W DNS

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Deels1, May 19, 2011.

1. Deels1

Deels1 Cool Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Florida
    Yesterday my Dad called and told me that he is no longer getting his CBS DNS stations from NY and LA. His billing cycle started yesterday and CBS DNS is no longer listed under the recent activity tab (NBC and FOX still are). What is going on here? He did not receive any notice this change was going to take place and hasn't made any programming changes that would "impact" his original waivers. Resetting via the website didn't restore the CBS stations and he's still getting a 721 "not purchased" slide when he tunes to them.

Should he call? Will he potentially lose NBC and FOX too?

Background... My parents have been with DirecTV since 1999 and I guided them through the process for acquiring waivers for CBS, NBC and FOX when activating the service. They were denied by ABC and used cable to watch the Orlando locals (they are 65 miles from the transmitters). They now have HD and have had the Orlando locals since they became available and opted to keep the NY and LA feeds for NBC, FOX and CBS as well. I think this was done via post card if I remember correctly.

As always, thanks in advance for the help in coming up with the "best" plan.

David

2. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
  3. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    Yes.. I would be calling IMMEDIATELY..

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Cant be the same or he would of lost them all. Makes no sence to just lose one. I would call. Ask for someone in the DNS department. Let us know if that works. I have several contacts for this that might be able to help.

5. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    I have been a customer since 1997. About a year ago we stated having locals available to us. I have been grandfathered for DNS so I did not activate those locals. Reason being I live in WI and my locals are out of Marquette MI. I am 1 mile from being able to activate Green Bay stations but that is 1 mile too far. Since I had all of the major networks I did see any compel;ing reason to get the locals. Only thing different is weather and that is available on the internet.

My question is why would someone whose has DNS activate locals?

The problems mentioned here and the other post and losing DNS is why I do not change my programming.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I could be mistaken, but here is my understanding:

- SD DNS locals for folks who have had them long enough are grandfathered; as long as they don't move, and as long as they maintain the SD DNS locals, they can keep them.

- HD DNS locals, for those who have qualified for them, are only allowed until there is an HD local available to your area. Once a network offers HD in your area, you are no longer approved for HD DNS for that network. So, if, say, you had CBS HD via DNS because you didn't have a CBS local available in HD from DirecTV, but DirecTV just made a CBS local in HD available, you lose your qualification for CBS HD via DNS.

That's federal law, and not something DirecTV can legally override.

7. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    Joshjr has the definitive answer for almost all these questions..and a good man to deal with to boot..

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    In my case, I have HD DNS and did not lose them when my HD locals became available.

9. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    This was the case under the old federal statute but the new rule is that there is no difference between SD and HD signals, hence if you are eligible for DNS, you get them in both HD and SD. This was implemented late last year and all eligible SD DNS customers should have had their HD DNS channels activated.

10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I agree. The law stated grandfathered. I dont remember reading anything on it dictating HD or SD being excluded. More so it said if you have DNS feeds as of this date that you are grandfathered in if your DMA's locals come online afterwards. Thats pretty open and shut to me.

My only concern I would tell people wanting to add their locals is to ask questions when on the phone before doing it. If you do not feel the person is 100% confident you can have both the DNS feeds and locals then dont do it unless you are willing to lose the DNS feeds. There are people and departments that actually understand this. Its just not usually the first line of defense people that answer the phones.

Also as to who would want locals if they had DNS, what about people that want PBS and CW in HD maybe? What if you are like me and live in the middle of the US and east coast as well as west coast dont really cover your area at all? What if your favorite sports teams are played on local networks and you only have DNS feeds that cover other teams? There are always reasons for this. To each their own. Another reason is that DNS feeds are really expensive. For some its just a filler but they would much rather pay$3 for locals then up to $20 for DNS stations.

11. Deels1

Deels1 Cool Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Florida
    Update...

Spoke to DirecTV and the CSR and her supervisor were unable to reactivate the CBS DNS feed. She said that I had returned a postcard (they couldn't tell me when) that indicated I wanted to keep the locals over the DNS. The activity was dated 5/18/11. There haven't been any postcards sent or returned in years. I remember indicating the desire to keep DNS after the Orlando locals became available and continuing to use cable for the Orlando stations... that may have been by postcard. They started receiving locals with the upgrade to HD 4 or 5 years ago when the locals were included in the package and I was assured this would in no way impact DNS.

I asked to be transferred to someone who could deal specifically with DNS eligibility and waiver issues and was told there wasn't anyone that could help. I could hear the supervisor in the background getting frustrated.

The timing of this is totally random and I found it frustrating that they were unable give me a date on postcard.

Any suggestions for a next move?

David

12. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    Yeah.. do they realize that maybe, just maybe, some one in Directv's office, either misstyped or what ever about a post card..
    you can't be held to some thing that was sent years ago.. although it seems like there must be "new post cards" being sent.. I haven't seen one..

but I would :

One , Demand to know when the post card was sent.. TO which address, it was sent , and how do you know its MY MARK on the "return" postcard.. meaning show me the card that is in question..

Two.. get aholt of JoshJr's guy with Directv.. this guy is a vice president or something, and HE CAN make a CHANGE.. Oh yes he can..

three.. get aholt of Ellen Fillipak.. and again demand to know about the post card that is being spoke of.. that you haven't received , much less returned a post card.. unless it was YEARS AGO.. which is crap.. and ask her to return your service to normal..

four.. talk to retention.. meaning threaten to dump Directv Now.. Tell them anything. that dish sent you a letter, or your cable company is making a push or, any thing you want to tell them.. any song or dance .. true or other wise.. because , if they can't be true to you.. its time to bring it all out..

five..and this is important.. DON"T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER.. not on the telephone.. not in an email and certainly not from the Directv defenders who soon will be here to tell you to take it or leave it .. or to just leave here.. because Directv is perfect in every way and its the perfect company.. and it never lies , nor is it ever wrong.. and trust me the more you post about "what should I do" the more you are going to hear this crap..

just cover your azz.. meaning make sure that your wife, child, father in law, next door neighbor or anyone else DID not respond to a post card from Directv.. that you DID not receive it .. nor did you respond to it.. Period..

and that's how you fight this thing.. and you are going to win.. but it make take some time to get to the correct person.. that's how Directv tries to win. they keep you from talking to the correct person until they realize YOU AREN"T TAKING NO FOR AN ANSWER and you are NOT GOING AWAY..

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    E-mail ellen.filipiak@directv.com. Calmly and politely state your business. She will look into the matter and get back to you.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Love reading your posts. Such melodrama! :rolleyes:

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Sent a PM. Let me know how it goes. I have other contacts as well if that one does not pan out. Please keep us informed and good luck.