1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help lower Dish bill??

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jedi5, Mar 31, 2012.

1. jedi5

jedi5 Mentor

Mar 25, 2010
    In-Laws asked if I would look into anyway to lower their monthly Dish bill.
    They have the following:

Americans top 200: $59.99
    HBO & Show $26.00
    Solo Receiver 7.00
    DVR Service 6.00

Per Month = $98.99 (HD200 free).

They have been with Dish for over 10 years or so.
    They have an HD receiver for their HD TV but, it is a 32".
    From my understanding, you will only see the HD difference on a TV 42" and larger. They also have an extra receiver to control the 2nd TV.

I think only 1 standard receiver will be good for them. They only have 2 TV's so they'll be fine there. I don't think they need an HD receiver for the 32" TV they have.

Aside that, is there anything else to suggest?
    Can they call Dish and see if they can get any promotions?
    I never have any luck but that's just me... they might get lucky.

Help?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    What are the receiver model numbers? 1st receiver being HD will not make any change to their bill (note there is an upgrade fee by changing to another receiver even if it is a lesser model, if it is a dual tuner output, it can replace the second receiver's $7 by feeding the second tv. If they can do without dvr (which you didn't address), that can reduce another $6. Other reductions could be by removing HBO and/or Showtime, or lowering programing package.

3. jedi5

jedi5 Mentor

Mar 25, 2010
    That's a good question, not really sure.
    I"ll have to ask them about the model numbers.

Don't think the HD receiver is a dual one.
    If it was, then they wouldn't need the 2nd receiver.
    But again, not sure on that.

Aside the receivers then, pretty much else is going be with they are willing to part with then... in terms of their programming.

I'll let them know then.

4. Apr 1, 2012 #4 of 22
    Coach Knight

Coach Knight New Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Just FYI, we have one 32" HD TV and I can assure you that you can absolutely tell a huge difference in SD and HD video on the TV. I wouldn't go that route personally.

5. Apr 1, 2012 #5 of 22
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Tell them to call CS and tell them that they're switching to DirecTV. Then talk to retention department and strike a deal.

6. Apr 1, 2012 #6 of 22
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Unless there is something they just GOT to have HBO / Showtime for - there is the obvious place to save.

Dropping the 2nd receiver would help some(and put that TV on TV2 of the DVR)

Dropping AT200 to AT120/120+ would also save some bucks.

And I suppose they could drop the HDDVR for an HD Dual receiver (but I really would not want to do that unless it was an extreme).

7. Apr 1, 2012 #7 of 22
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    The OP hasn't identified the current receivers and what types are both TVs. How can anyone make an informed suggestion? If they have 2 HD TVs and want to keep a DVR, The stated equipment fees are minimum. If one TV is HD and the other SD, They need a duo DVR and no second receiver. Etc.

8. Apr 1, 2012 #8 of 22
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    He wanted suggestions where to cut - it's pretty obvious. If he has a 612 as the primary receiver, exchange it for a 622/722/722K and there you have TV2. If he already has one of these, then still drop his second receiver and share the TV2 output with multiple TVs (I've done this - also on TV1).

9. Apr 1, 2012 #9 of 22
    jedi5

jedi5 Mentor

Mar 25, 2010
    From the info the in-laws gave me, it seems like that is the best option to save them a few bucks a month on their bill, get a dual tuner receiver.
    One TV is a 32" and their 2nd TV in the kitchen is... a smaller than a 32".
    *Me* personally, I don't think they need an HD receiver but that's me.

Everything else will be what channels they are willing to part with.

I"ll have them call Dish and ask what was suggested on this thread.
    I've never had luck with Dish but who knows, they might.

Side note, anyone know off hand if Dish still has the rebate form for the free sling adapter? I didn't see it online.

Thanks everyone!

10. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    We are not talking about the tv's but the receiver numbers, they may already have a dual tuner receiver but it is not setup up properly as a dual output receiver could have independent viewing on both tv's. A single output receiver would also feed both tv's, but both would be viewing the same thing. Please get this info.

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    They could drop Showtime. There's nothing good on it. Just my opinion.

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I have Sharp 37" AQUAS HD set and the picture is stellar.

13. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    My parents have a 32" HDTV and watch analog cable on it. They say it's not "perfect" but they don't want to pay for digital let alone HD. They also don't like the idea that those services would make their VCR useless. I, on the other hand, think it looks awful.

So, sensitivity to picture quality (vs price) does vary.

That said, I would suggest dropping down to the next basic package, dropping the premiums and the extra receiver. That would cut their bill roughly in half. That would be enough change in the monthly bill that I think it would cause some serious thought about whether all those channels are needed. If you make use of the DVR then there will always lots of stuff to watch even with a pretty basic package.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ok, we're an old couple (we're well beyond Medicare age).

For our age group, we're unusually technology oriented because we were offering through our own business computer services in 1981. But what I'm about to say ignores our use of a Slingbox PRO-HD to watch TV in our office on our computers on 25" monitors or on our iPads or our Kindle Fire or laptops wherever.

Here's what I see.

1. Dropping HD isn't a desirable option. Too frequently the SD picture is an annoying "downrezed" and chopped off HD picture. And yes you can see the difference. Consider that "the new" iPad's big thing is a major jump in resolution that people rave about for watching video on a 9" screen....

2. Our core subscription package is the Top 200, the same as your in-laws. Because we watch "must see programming":sure: on AMC and BBCA, I've not dropped us down from the Top 200 to the Top 120. But that's costing me $10 a month, and while we occasionally but rarely watch something on other channels not on the Top 120, I keep questioning whether its worth it.

Perhaps they might want to consider the difference. I've listed the channels not in the top 120 below. If there is no "must see TV" on those channels for them, they've just saved $10 a month.

3. Like your in-laws, we also consistently subscribe to HBO and Showtime packages for the "must see' series shows with the movies considered a bonus.

I subscribe to Starz when there is a series show we want to watch, but drop it when there are no series we're interested in. When I subscribe, I record movies we missed when not subscribing.

I'm now considering that pattern for the Showtime package. You have to plan in order to avoid the $5 penalty that applies if you cancel then restart within 30 days. But the price is $16 for HBO. Add Showtime or Starz its an additional $10. Add Showtime and Starz its an additional $19.

4. A 722 (or 722(k) if they can get off the air channels) would be a good choice for them as it can offer one HD TV program (TV 1 out) and one independently controlled SD TV program (TV 2 out) - they can watch different programming. And....

The 622/722/722(k) series boxes can serve two HD TV's, just with the same program. Both the HDMI and the Component Video/Optical Audio are live from the TV1 out. So it is possible to have two HD TV's watching the same signal while others watch different programming from on an SD TV (TV2 out).

On the other hand, we have a 722 and a 612. I find I need to record three or four shows at once and don't have OTA available. But, in addition, I'm paranoid and want to have a working box when the other fails. It takes Dish two days to send me a replacement.

5. Over the years, by being active in the Forum I've saved much money by being on this Forum. In the past Dish offered deals, particularly 3 months of some premium channel package free. I have a feeling those offers are disappearing for current customers. But....

• BBC America
    • BET
    • Big Ten Network
    • Bravo
    • CBS Sports Network
    • Current TV
    • Disney XD
    • Fox Business Network
    • G4
    • Galavision
    • Golf Channel
    • GSN
    • Hallmark Channel
    • Independent Film Channel (IFC)
    • Investigation Discovery
    • Lifetime Movie Network
    • MLB Network
    • msnbc
    • National Geographic Channel
    • NBA TV
    • NFL Network
    • NHL Network
    • Nick Jr.
    • nuvoTV
    • Ovation
    • OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network)
    • Oxygen
    • RFD-TV
    • Russia Today
    • Science
    • Sí TV
    • SOAPnet
    • Speed Channel
    • Style
    • TeenNick
    • Telefutura (East)
    • Telefutura (West)
    • Telefutura HD (West)
    • truTV
    • Turner Classic Movies
    • Univision (East)
    • Univision (West)
    • WGN America
    • Women's Entertainment

15. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Maybe I missed something in the posts, but having or not having HD saves nothing so talking about if they need it or not really doesn't matter. And there is a huge difference on a 32" TV.

As mentioned a 722 seems to fit them. Past that it is impossible to even advise how to save money because it's personal taste. I would drop Showtime for sure if it was me, keep HBO only for months there are things I really would watch. There is no cost to add/drop it every thirty days. Only they can say how much they watch the channels in the top200, I wouldn't want to go below that, if money was still the issue HBO would go first.

16. Max931

Max931 Cool Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I would drop premiums that would save you 26 bucks a month. Get a net flex account.. We have top 200 and pay 74 dollars a month but dont have netflex

17. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    I currently don't subscribe to any of the big premium channels anymore. The Blockbuster service dvd by mail is adequate for me and I can watch movies with a big sigh of relief that a tv network won't put a bug, snipe, or ruin the end credits when they run (Starz is guilty of this).

18. sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    They can change the AT200 for the Welcome Pack...only $14.99/month. In that, they will get all locals, AMC, Comedy Central, TBS, HIST, TVGN, HUB and quite a few other channels-I have it and it sure saves me every month.

19. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    lol. Why so that they can get a measly 10$ off for a year then be put on adjustment alert that would prevent them from getting anything ever again?

In the long run there are FAR better options then going to loyalty(retention).

While this is a valid concern, its also fairly unlikely.

One of the easiest and penalty free ways of saving some money without making changes to your account is the club dish program.
    http://www.dish.com/customerservice/clubdish/

When I worked for Dish i ran into a customer on the phones who, according to the billing history always had the max amount of club dish credits for every year as far back as i could look (bout 3 years). We were doing a hard reset and waiting for things to reboot so i asked him how he did it. What he did was nothing short of genius. He lived in a retirement community that didnt disallow Dish and he would set up a stand and help out his neighbors setting up Dish accounts every 10 months :lol:

As said earlier its likely they have two solo receivers so the most logical option would be to switch over to a duo system. It would save them 7$ for as long as they keep that system the way it is, but there is a catch!

From the information provided it does not look like they have the protection plan. In order to get a duo set up they need a technician visit, without the protection plan tech visits are 95$. The protection plan costs 6$ a month and you must keep it a minimum of 90 days, if you remove it prior to those 90 days there is a 25$ penalty charge.
    In addition to this switching over to a Duo would require that they do a Dishn it up promotion which requires a two year contract, and a 1$ credit card qualification that is refunded in 2-3 days. If they cancel prior to the end of the contract an Early termination fee could be charged to the card used to qualify the account.

20. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    120 days, not 90 days. it's never been 90 days, it started at 150 days.