1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose a game systems

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by fluffybear, Dec 12, 2008.

Which Game System should I get for my Kids

1. Microsoft XBox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nintendo Wii

24 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Sony PlayStation 3

57 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The wife and I have discussing for sometime about getting a game system for the kids (not necessarily for Christmas) but neither one of us have used one nor owned one. The only thing ever hooked to my TV which could play games was my old Radio Shack Color Computer.

Anyway, we could really use the advice of those who have more experience with them. The system is primarily for the children, Ages 4 and 6 but mom and dad might want to use it from time to time as well.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I like the Wii as it doesn't encourage long hours in front of the TV and actually makes the kids be athletic!

3. 50+

50+ Legend

May 1, 2008
    My son and his kids have the wii. The kids are 8 & 11 this could make a difference, not sure about the games for younger kids. When me and the wife go over it is even fun for us to play. It is hooked to the internet and my son plays games with people all over the world, pretty cool. I havent gotten past the games that came with it they are really fun. Hope this helps.

4. fwlogue

fwlogue Godfather

Dec 5, 2006
    I have a Wii and PS3 I originally bought the PS3 as it has blue ray and this gave me a blue ray player as well as game for the grands kids. We then bought the Wii. The grandkids play the Wii more than the PS3. The PS3 is very rarely used for games. They like the Wii better as they can get into the game more with the Wii. If they are playing tennis it is almost like you are really playing tennis same with bowling golf and other games that we have for them.

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    +1

6. shenefie

shenefie Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    yes, the wii is probably good for the kids. but remember, for the kids. nintendo has taken the track of only making games for the 14 and under crowd. i bought the wii when it came out and now it collects dust because there are no real 'grown-up' new games out. wii sports and wii fit are fun, but beyond that, there isnt much if you are over 14. ps3 has the advantages of having the blu-ray player, which is a plus if you have a HDTV for sure! so i guess it really depends how old your kids are and what kind of games they like. oh, and ps3 just released playstation home, but isnt really a place for kiddies. lotsa foul language (if you use a headset) and some of the people are kinda rude and crude. but it is fun. little big planet is a fun game for kids and adults. hope this helps!

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    We just bout a Wii ourselves after many months of homework and research (and trial use).

The deciding factors:

1) The technology (nothing like it)
    2) The software - seems that the games for it are something people will actually use, rather than the same old shoot-em-up stuff
    3) Optional accessories - they keep coming out with new ones

8. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Mario Kart? :D

9. jlast01

jlast01 Cool Member

Nov 19, 2008
    We have PS3, 360, and Wii. For your kids, definately the Wii.

360 does have some good games for kids too, but Wii is best for that age group.

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    WOW...that's interesting, as we came to the exact opposite conculsion after seeing the latest inventory of Wii games (adult and kids).

With no teens left in the house, and without condoning all those "kill" games that are out there....the decision came down to XBox and Wii...with Wii taking the prize.

There surely must be a reason they cannot make them fast enough to keep Wii inventories in stock, while they can't give away the PS3's and Xbox's in our local BB and CC stores.

But in the end....I'd say narrow your choices to 2 platforms, and check out the game inventories and accesories. Get what is right for you in your household. :)

11. Zepes

Zepes Godfather

Dec 27, 2007
    I'm getting the Wii for my kids ( ages 4&6) mostly because Call of Duty World at War is now available for that platform.

12. nick58

nick58 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I'll cast my vote for the Wii. Bought one because my wife wanted Wii fit. Of course she never plays that game but plays Mario Kart constantly. We have a 5 yr old grandaughter that plays when she comes over. After a little practice she is actually getting to be pretty good.

13. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    They've started releasing games with a "Mature" ERSB rating such as "Call of Duty: World at War" and "Resident Evil 4."

For someone who isn't "into" video games, the Wii is an excellent choice. Most of the games are the kind anyone can sit down (oops ... stand up) and play without a long learning curve. Many are the kind you can play for just a few minutes at a time.

We pull out our Wii when we have visitors over since it is an excellent party game.

-- Roger

14. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    Wii has the best bang-for-buck entertainment value for kids. Virtually all of it's advantage is due to it's cool motion-based controller that lets you swing an imaginary tennis racket (or golf club or whatever). It also leads to people accidentally throwing the controller thru the TV screen when it slips out of their hand. (Really. No joke. But this is not a problem if people remember to use the wrist strap.) While it's controller is best, everything else about it is the most primitive of the three. It is the least-capable technically (re: amazing graphics, etc.).

The PS3 has the greatest capability and will be state-of-the-art for a long time (as technology goes). Sony is losing their shirt on it, reportedly losing money on each one. This is because, while it costs more to buy, it costs way more to make. It has an almost-super-computer inside. Sony is taking a long-term-investment view of this thing re: what it sees as the upcoming Media Center wars. At the moment, it's the world's best Blu Ray player if you care about that. While it also has motion-based controllers, the motion part is less advanced than the Wii controllers. There are working prototypes of cool PS3 controllers that actually out-do the cool Wii controllers, but who knows when they will actually be out as products. (You can find videos of demos of it via google.) It has built in WiFi for connecting to your home wireless network, and Sony's network for online play with people elsewhere is free (the XBOX one is not free). Plus, Sony is just now starting their "Home" network-place, which is a virtual social world that people can play around in (whatever that means, I don't really know). Initially there were fewer special PS-3-only games, but that is changing. LittleBigPlanet is a truly wonderful game for kids of all ages, and it's PS3-only. If you wanna put a larger HDD in it, you can use a standard laptop HDD and do it yourself in a couple minutes; for an XBOX, you can't, you have to buy expensive proprietary parts. (For car racing, I'm an F1-fan, and the best F1 game is the 2006 one for PS3. A year or two ago, there was a new F1 driver who did better than expected at tracks he'd never raced on before. When they asked him how he did so well on new-to-him tracks, he said he learned the tracks ahead of time by playing the PS3 F1 video game ;-)

The XBOX 360 is more advanced than the Wii but less than the PS3. It's network use is fee-based, PS3's is free. Initial advantage in games for XBOX is fading as PS3 catches up. I've got nothing against it (and have an old non-360 XBOX which I was perfectly happy with). I think it lacks both the Wii's strength and the PS3's strength. It's perfectly fine, but IMO there is nothing special about it. (Some people will get mad about statements like that.)

Be warned that some people live on their game consoles, and there are intense opinion wars especially between fans of PS3 and XBOX. Some people take it *way* too seriously ;-)

As you can see from my comments, I prefer the PS3. But I'm not a kid. Got one for less than $250 via $150 signup deal for Sony-Chase credit card plus 5% online cashback offer.

Lately, I've been fooling around with downloading old B&W TV shows from the era of my childhood (77 Sunset Strip) to my laptop, and then streaming them to the PS3 which plays them on my TV. My wife thinks this is bizarre behavior.

15. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    !rolling This one really hit home, as many of us tech geeks can relate.

16. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    I unmothballed my old PS1 from the basement and bought a couple of used kids games from GameStop, for my 4 and 6 year olds. Saved me a fortunate and they really don't know the difference.

17. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Best bang for the buck - especially with a family - is definitely the Wii in my opinion.

It may not be the most "powerful" of the three, but it is TONS of fun. I'm in my 30s and I enjoy it every bit as much as my 4 year old son. My wife, who has never been interested in any of the gaming consoles I've had in the past even enjoys the wii.

18. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Wii... No question about it...

19. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I have to disagree with this. I have never seen a game system more versatile than the Wii... My wife and I (in our mid 20's) play multiple times a week... and I have family members (3, 10, 12, 16, 34, 37, 65) that all have one and play on a regular basis as well...

I also don't really consider games like Tiger Woods '09, Call of Duty, and Madden '09 (three of my faves) as aimed at the < 14 crowd... :confused:

My PS3 is the one collecting dust... :p

20. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    I have a PS2, Xbox 360, and Wii. For small kids the Wii is probably the best for gaming. If you want to do more than gaming, stream video, NetFlix, chat... I would choose the 360. The PS3 would be option if you wanted Blu-Ray, but it cost much more than the other 2.