1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Help me get rid of subwoofer hum?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by JJEdwards, Mar 4, 2009.

1. JJEdwards

JJEdwards Cool Member

Jul 4, 2007
    I have an Infinity BU-2 12" powered subwoofer. It's about 10 years old.
    I've been getting an unwanted low frequncy hum over the audio and can't seem to get rid of it. What causes it and how do I get rid of it? It annoyed me so much that I just unplugged the sub for now.

2. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    A hum in audio speakers can be caused by a couple different conditions. The most typical are:

• The audio wire(s) running in parallel to AC cords or AC outlet wiring in side walls or a ceiling. In this case, the audio wire is picking up what's called a 60 cycle hum.
    • Audio wires being placed near other sources of RFI/EMI. These include fluorescent light transformers, UPS/Battery power supplies, power strips, etc.
    • A hot ground could be the cause. This occurs when another electric appliance or device in the dwelling has failed and is passing electricity to the ground wire of its cord. This in turn makes all of the grounded outlets hot on their ground wire.
    • Dimmer knobs for lighting are fairly well known to cause audio hum.
    • Some people coil up AC electric cords when they are too long and leave them in a pile or all arranged together creating a type of coil, with audio cables adjacent to this coil it can be the cause of audio hum.
    • It's possible for an old malfunctioning GFI outlet to cause a hum as well.
    • Loose coax connections are known to be cause of "RF direct pickup", make sure everything is finger tight plus a little turn with a wrench to make it snug.
    • And last but not least (but mt favorite) is improper grounding in the dwelling.

Some of the above can be easily corrected and/or checked and tested yourself. Some of them require a skilled electrician to troubleshoot and resolve.

bt-rtp

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Did you try a different set of wires going to the sub? Sometimes wires/connectors go bad for one reason or another.

4. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Sometimes it is just a matter that one of the pieces of equipment is not properly grounded.

5. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    9 out of 10 times this has solved it for me...