1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me keep my DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hirschma, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1 of 20
    hirschma

hirschma New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    In short, my evil landlord has decided, after nearly 7 years, that my dish needs to go :mad: As the only other option is Optimum, well, I'm kind of upset about this. A memo dated 6/3 gives one week until they come and tear it down.

The dish is located in a common area, so no FCC OTARD protection that I can see. Landlord did agree to installation at move-in date, writing, which was before cable existed in my neighborhood (NYC is weird that way). Written permission is no longer in our files.

No option for moving the dish anywhere else.

Any suggestions? I really hate to lose such a quality service.

2. Jun 4, 2010 #2 of 20
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think OTARD rules are the reverse. You don't have protection if it's a common area, but you do have protection if it's not.

3. Jun 4, 2010 #3 of 20
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    This is or is not located in a common area? If it is not, you are good, OTARD does protect you.

If it is in a common area, what non-common areas do you have. Any that face Texas? Even a window?

It's tough without that written paper. Has management changed hands?

Good luck,
    Tom

4. Jun 4, 2010 #4 of 20
    hirschma

hirschma New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sorry about the confusion - dish IS in a common area (i.e., the outer wall directly below a window). OP edited.

Would DirecTV keep a copy of the original permission on file?

Do ETFs apply (I have 8 months left) if the landlord rips down the dish? (as opposed to canceling in advance of that happening?)

Argh, I really hate my landlord.

5. Jun 4, 2010 #5 of 20
    hirschma

hirschma New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    No windows that directly face TX - dish is at an extreme angle to reach the sky. Wife will scream if the dish came inside anyways :)

Nope, they just decided to turn up the a**hole quotient for some unknown reason.

6. Jun 4, 2010 #6 of 20
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    DIRECTV might have kept a copy (most likely archived digitally.) Call and ask.

Good luck,
    Tom

7. Jun 4, 2010 #7 of 20
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Not a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

If the dish has been up 7 years, maybe you have some sort of implied permission, even without the written agreement. It certainly would be reasonable for you to ask the landlord to cover the ETF fee.

8. Jun 4, 2010 #8 of 20
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Move out. Find an apartment that has an exclusive use area where you could get direcTV easily, and tell your current landlords to shove it.

9. Jun 4, 2010 #9 of 20
    jstutman

jstutman Mentor

May 27, 2010
    Since you have no OTARD protection, this might be a solution or threat? Would they be willing to lose your rent check over a dish they have obviously not had an issue with for 7 years?

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Plenty of apartment landlords will be happy to see dish users leave; they generally hate dishes. Having dealt with hundreds of them, they are usually not worried about filling the apartments - they just want the dish GONE.

When you have written permission, you need to keep a copy in YOUR files too.

When I do a sale in an apartment or rental, I *require* written permission, period. This has proven important several times. There's an apartment complex that required tenants remove their (non-OTARD-compliant) dishes about 18 months ago, and all of the tenants had to comply, EXCEPT for my 3 sales customers, who I had copies of their written permission in my files. Those folks still have their dish, and no one else does, except for the tripod folks, and in this complex, about 75% of the tenants can't get a signal from their balcony.

11. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I have found if all parties work together a dish can be moved somewhere that won't be seen by anyone,for example a non penetrating roof mount.

I'm not saying it is easy or cheap but at least once a year I install a dish for someone that never wants to lay eyes on what they consider "The ugly thing"

New York is probably the exception to the rule but I've helped more than a few have DirecTV HD service where no one thought it was even remotely possible.

I wish you the best of luck !!

Here is an example of how one of my ideas was used in a big city to deliver DirecTV HD service.

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17804&d=1237157348

This is a new slimline-3 LNB mounted to an old DirecTV phase III dish

12. jstutman

jstutman Mentor

May 27, 2010
    Boy. Imagine sitting in the balcony below, relaxing in my chair and looking up and seeing this ugly thing they call a dish :)

13. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    Can you mount the dish on the roof even if that is several storeys up and still run cables down the side to your apartment or down a wall? There are apartment buildings in LA that do this. Maybe that would work?

14. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    Just curious, did your landlord say why he wants your dish down?:confused:

15. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    Could be like in my area where there were strong rumors that Mediacom (cableco) was offering deals to some of the bigger landlords to "discourage" them from allowing dishes.

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You could always get your landlord to get setup as an MDU.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Not likely. The landlord would have to come out with tens of thousands of dollars to buy such a system, and then deal with managing it. If he can't have a dish himself, the chances of the landlord getting an MDU or SMA setup are nil.

18. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    You must have missed this part of the original message -
    No option for moving the dish anywhere else.

19. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I'm thinking that getting MDU's setup will be easier than it has been, and much cheaper, very soon.