1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HELP! MRV not working properly

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by grafixfreak, May 25, 2010.

1. grafixfreak

grafixfreak AllStar

Sep 14, 2007
    I had the whole home installed yesterday (finally after 2 no shows by the installer). This was the installer's first attempt-we referenced this board several times.
    Im having a problem where not all boxes can see each other (and not all boxes can use OnDemand and TVapps).

My HR20s worked fine on my ethernet during the beta with a few hiccups every now and then.

My installer replaced my LNB with one that has a green label on it and replaced my my multiswitch with a SWM (green label on it). Also swapped R15-100 with R22-100 and H20-100 with H24-100.

Equipment:
    1 HR20-100
    1 HR20-100
    1 H24-100
    1 R22-100

HR20-100 (living room)-sees R22-100, OnDemand (shows up but when a program is selected to downloading, it says downloading has been paused and never downloads [so Im assuming it isnt working], and my network; gets error about not receiving guide information* which has caused a reset a couple times.

HR20-100 (bedroom)-sees R22-100, and my network [OnDemand (but no "browse by channels" and certain things "greyed" out or anything to download)]; also gets error about not receiving guide information*; and cant seem to keep an IP address in the 192 range

H24-100-sees HR20-100 (living room), R22-100 and network

R22-100-sees both HR20-100s,OnDemand -only one that downloads, and network.

No TVapps on any boxes.

On the DECAs connected to HR20s I see 2 green lights illuminated.

I am attaching a drawing of my setup for review in case my installer hooked something incorrectly and maybe I can fix it before I make a call to DTV to come look at it.

* not sure if this is CE related (both HR20s) but coincidentally started after MRV install.

edited: OnDemand only works on R22-does not work on any other box.
    Thanks. View attachment 22220

Attached Files:

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Okay, a couple of things looking at your diagram.

For the HR20's you show the splitter before the DECA. In that case you need a Band Stop Filter (BSF) after the splitter and before the input to SAT1. Looking at your diagram, you have the RG-6 output of the DECA going to the SAT2 input on the HR20 for power, correct?

You also do not show a DECA for the R22. Do you have one there?

Lastly, do you have a PI for the DECA that is used to bridge to your home network?

- Merg

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The R22-100 needs a DECA

4. grafixfreak

grafixfreak AllStar

Sep 14, 2007
    Thanks for your reply...and "YES" to all your questions. There is so many things involved in this setup I forgot a couple things-obviously important things...( I will make sure I update my image to show these items)

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    All DECAs should have three green LEDs.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Whoops. Missed that.

@VOS:
    Would he be better off switching the DECA and the splitters around for the HR20's so as not to use the BSF's? Is one of the two workarounds for the HR20's preferred over the other?

- Merg

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The DECA I don't think was ever the problem with the HR20-100, or its location. The plan A was changed to B because of SAT signal issues.
    I still don't understand why plan A was changed to B, since they both should work the same, but they did.

Somewhere somebody changed the splitter in plan B and reported it made a difference, but again this too doesn't make any sense, other than in doing so they may have made a better coax connection by doing it, which if they'd found before, they wouldn't have needed to make the change.
    Cabling/connectors can sometimes act squirrelly.

8. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    I find your above statement above a little "fishy". You say the installer replaced your LNB with a green label, and then also installed a SWiM8? Sounds like the LNB was already a SWM lnb. If so there isnt a need for the separate SWiM

I'm not the expert here, but could explain all your troubles you mentioned(that I highlighted).

Maybe I am misunderstanding.

9. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I'm thinking that he does have a SWM LNB, and what he is calling a SWM8 is actually a SWS8 splitter. I base this on several items.
    1) It seems to be the standard way of installation.
    2) He shows the power inserter providing power to the LNB, not the SW?8.
    3) The picture actually looks like an SWS8 splitter.

To the OP, does the SW?8 that you have look like your picture? Is it closer to 4"x1.5" (SWS8 splitter) or closer to 6"x6" (SWM8)?

Also, do you know if you went from a "5" LNB to a "3" LNB (or the other way around)? You might want to re-run satellite setup and make sure it has picked up the change.

10. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    Perhaps it's possible, with the -100s unique tunning, that it's not so much the deca band causing issues, but the deca's themselves filtering out a chunk that the -100s need, but others can live without.

11. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    I don't think you can expect the same precision in terminology that, say, VOS, would use from folks who haven't been following this technology closely. They tend to think the splitter is the SWM. This was a problem in another thread yesterday when the OP thought she was going to swap in a SWiM-16 when a SWM LNB had been installed.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Without some test equipment, it's hard to know what is going on.
    I can't see how the -100 is using "some chunk" of the band the others aren't or don't need.
    We've got:
    SWiM comm 2.3 MHz
    DECA ~500-600 MHz
    SWiM starting and 978 MHz

"Anyway", the -100 seems to be a weird duck and not all the -700s have liked the SWiM-16, so :shrug:

13. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    Yea, after I posted, I looked at the diagram again, and came to the same conclusion that SWM meant the splitter, based on the picture.

14. grafixfreak

grafixfreak AllStar

Sep 14, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I have attached some pictures that I quickly took this morning before leaving for work. The quality of some are not so good. I am attaching a picture of the LNB the installer swapped out on my dish; the splitter-like (I know it isnt a splitter but dont know what it is called) piece where the cables are attached coming into the house and the one cable that is attached to power supply "Power to SWM"; and some images of the SWM (Im assuming that is what it is) with all the cable going to my boxes and one cable going to the power unit attached "Signal to IRD." I hope this helps out my earlier explanation and diagram. If someone would like to see more pictures to better understand how I am connected, just let me know what you need to see and I can take some later on this evening.

I appreciate all the help.

Attached Files:

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I see:

1. a SWMLNB
    2. the ground block
    3. the splitter
    A better shot of the splitter might help. I also see connectors with blue bands which should be connectors with black bands [not that this is the issue, just not the correct connector].

16. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Picture 1 is a MRV-ready SWM LNB for 99/101/103 satellites. Pictures 2 and 3 are just a ground block with 1 output used. Picture 4 shows a rather sloppy installation of a SWM splitter and Power Inserter.

17. grafixfreak

grafixfreak AllStar

Sep 14, 2007
    Ill try to get a better picture later on this evening. Thanks for taking a look.

18. grafixfreak

grafixfreak AllStar

Sep 14, 2007
    So in your opinion, would this sloppy installation warrant a call to DTV to come out and see why this is not working properly and clean up the initial install. Or is it something I could neaten up and fix to get this working?
    Also, is this the proper equipment to have this working properly?

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    My opinion would be "if I paid for".... I'd expect them to do it correctly.

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Rerun antenna setup on your HR20-100s .. They should pass both verification and validation stages.

Looks like you went from a WB68 setup viewing 99°, 101°, 103°, 110° and 119° .. The new LNB only sees 99°, 101°, and 103°. Your HR20s are likely trying to pull guide data from 119° which isn't possible. Once your redo the setup, it should recognize that it's an SL3S and the guide data issues will go away.

This may even fix your networking issues.