1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Help needed for upgrade to swm

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by irishnut, Sep 20, 2013.

1. irishnut

irishnut New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Pa
    I am in need of some assistance. I am upgrading my directv to swm. I have the following receivers 1-HR24, 1-HR22 and 2 H21. I have the following parts. A new swm lnb, a power inverter, a 1x4 switch. What else do I need to connect all my receivers so it would work for whole home? And can someone possibly diagram it for me. I also have a DIRECTV DECA BROADBAND ADAPTER - DECABB1MR0-01. Rush assistance please. Thank you in advance

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    First you have 5 "devices" that is your 4 receivers and the DECA BB. You will need a bigger splitter, an 8 green label will do the trick. you will also need 3 DECAs home adapters for the HR22 and the 2 H21s.

one cable from the dish to the IN on the 8 way, coax jumper from PI PWR to SWM port. terminate the "signal to IRD" port. run one coax to each receiver and one more to were ever your router is located to connect the DECA BB. if the DECA BB is next (or close to) a receiver, you can use the 4 way and just get a 2 way.

3. irishnut

irishnut New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Pa
    Okay, let me try to and map it out then. Right now both dvrs have 2 coax coming to them, with upgrade they will only need one. So, if I attach the power inverter to one coax behind the HR22 and connect the other end to the splitter marked in red, terminate the signal to ird on power inverter. Connect all the other receivers to the splitter and adding the DECA home adapters to those that need them. Then I have a router near the HR24, connect the old 2nd coax to the DECA BB and to the router. Does that sound right?

Also, Explain better if I want to use the 1x4 splitter with a 1x2 splitter

4. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    You would put the 2 way inline right near the router between the receiver and the line in that feeds it.

Alternately you can keep the 4 way and get a diplexer to route the DECA to the Internet bridge instead of a 2 way.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=std-9501&d=nas-std-9501m-satellite-/-off-air-diplexer-power-passing-%28std-9501%29

Looks a lot like a splitter but only takes off the DECA bands maintaining the 4 way's signal level for your SWM to receiver inputs.

DECA works without the internet connection so you can hook up on the 4 way and order the parts to bridge in the Internet later. Won't have on demand till the Internet is added but . . .

Don "either way works" Bolton

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Diplexer and WHDVR (MRV) dont like to play well together

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    From all reports I've gotten on the NAS 9501 pictured in the link, its preformed quite well.

Therefore option 2 in this image for hooking up a CCK as suggested by lugnutathome should have no problems.

CCK Installation Options.jpg

EDIT: Resubmitted image as first had blurred lettering due to attempts at enlargement prior to posting.

7. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Tis true. You are quite correct if using said diplexer to merge in terrestrial signals as they can interfere with the signals passed for DECA in those frequency bands. But in a "sealed" system where the sole inputs are your DirectTV coax lines the diplexer can be used to split off the DECA signals to your Internet bridge device without introducing signal loss for sat signal frequencies like a true splitter would.This is the method used and approved for combining two SWiM16s into a single DECA infrastructure. I am running such as part of my own infrastructure.Don "it works quite well in fact" Bolton
    Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, the NAS STD-9501M is specifically made for DIRECTV. It's not the diplexer that's the problem, it's trying to fit OTA on a SWM system.

9. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Been ill today so was a bit lethargic prior. Here are a few links to help with the set up. when the OP was explaqining where to connect the PI I cocked my head a bit as I recalled hitting the legacy section with a direct connection like the 16 has a dedicate power port.

http://forums.solids...ECTV-Networking

http://forums.solids...ers-in-the-home

Don "hope this helps" Bolton

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As been posted, they do play well, "but" you need to be careful how and where you use them.
    I too was ready to jump on the post you replied to, but the diagram Hotat2 posted "works" and may be the only way it would.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    what would be the difference between the diagram and using a 2 way

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Efficiency from what I can see;

Mainly due to reduced signal loss of the DECA (MoCA) signal on the path to or from the CCK, since none is wasted being sent to the SWiM LNB or external multiswitch.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    so this diplexer has no insertion loss?

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Sure, but then I imagine so would a splitter in addition to it's splitting loss.

15. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Essentially correct. Though fittings introduce nominal signal loss, the diplexer is not splitting (dual pathing) its signals so there is no signal loss introduced save for that of a fitting.For most installs this may be moot but it saves several DB loss.Don "technically it is the right piece but a splitter is common" Bolton
    Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk