1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help. New Install. No new HD or 498.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Zamps, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    I just moved into a brand new house and had DTV install new slimline dish on Sunday. I can not receive any of the new HD channels. I've called DTV and they have resent the info to my receiver and I've done two resets and I still can't get them. I did the test channels on 480 and 481 and it worked fine. I tried the test channel 498 and it doesn't show up in the guide.

Any ideas? I wonder if it might be a multi-switch problem? I have a service appointment for Saturday afternoon.

Thanks.

2. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    How are your signal strengths on the 103b SAT? Don't worry bout 498. That's not active anymore. And are your 480/481 giving you a "BBC test passed"?

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    What model multiswitch do you have?

4. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    Both BBC are confirmed working.

103b Tuner 1
    93 91 89 88 88 88 86 88
    88 89 88 89 89 89 NA NA
    91 NA NA NA NA 90 NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

103B Tuner 2
    95 95 91 92 91 91 90 91
    89 91 89 91 92 93 NA NA
    95 NA NA NA NA 94 NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

5. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    Not sure. I know what happens when you assume, but I assuming that since it's a new install after they turned on the new HD that would have installed the proper multiswitch.

I should probably check but it's raining cats and dogs lately.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  7. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    My numbers don't look that good.

8. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    General troubleshooting for Channel 498 Problems:

First tune to channel 498 and see if you see a Congratulation Screen (no audio), If you can, you are getting the new HD satellite! You are done!

If you instead you have a black or gray screen, try this:
    Try tuning to channel 72, then 73, then back to 498.
    On an HR20, press PAUSE for 30 seconds, then Fast Forward.
    Toggle Native Mode ON and OFF: MENU>Setup>Display>Native Mode
    Try a Menu Reset: MENU>Setup>Reset>Restart Receiver then repeat steps above.

If you still do not see the congratulations message...
    1. Verify that you have a 5-LNB dish (It is oval shaped with 3 heads in the dish and may say "Slimline")
    (If you've recently changed dishes, you might want to rerun Satellite Setup.)
    2. If you have a multiswitch, Verify it is WB68 or WB616.
    3. Check signal strengths on all satellites. Menu>Setup>Sat>View Signal Strengths. Should see good signals at least one good reading (at least over 60%) on or 103(b).If not, your dish is not aligned.
    4. Verify B-Band converters (the rectangular boxes on the tuner inputs)are properly installed.
    5. If you get HD locals, verify they are OK.
    6. If you are getting a searching for signal of 498, problem is most likely one of the above items. Re-verify. Swap BBCs with each other if you have two.
    7. Make sure all channels selected, not a custom list.
    8. Try a reset.
    9. Try resending authorizations by clicking her: Refresh Your Services
    10. If blank screen (black or grey), write down the following settings on your HR20:
    (a) Native ON or Native OFF
    (b) What output resolutions are checked in the TV resolutions tab?
    (c) How is receiver connected to TV (HDMI or component video).
    11. Try the following changes:
    (a) set native opposite what it was (on or off)
    (b) check all output resolutions your TV is capable of receiving

If you are using an HR20, you may need to pause live TV for up to 30 seconds.

Thanks to Milominderbinder2 and carl6 for compiling this list.

I have looked there. I have not tried the changing the native settings, pausing, 1xFF trick. I'll have to give that a try this afternoon.

Current setup:
    Native Off
    Component Video
    480P, 720P, 1080i

9. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    OK - you definitely want to check with multiswitch you have - a WB68 or WB616. Stranger things have happened with installs not including the proper switch, or installers leaving previous switch models in place without updating them.

10. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    I seems that there are no multiswitch or BBC issues due to your 103b signal strengths. It also appears that the box has downloaded the required firmware for the same reason (103b signal strength readings.) I know you say that the "info" was "resent" but it looks like your receiver still needs to be "authorized" for the High Def Pack. There is a chance that a RBR or a total depower (unplug) will properly reset your receiver.

11. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Good point techrep.

12. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Thanks but you guys have already done all the "hard" work.
    !devil12: Shoulder :angel:

13. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    I've done 3 RBR, two while on the phone with a CSR while they resent info to my receiver. I will try an unplug when I get home. Thanks for everyone's input. :)

14. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    OK - when you do the unplug - go ahead and make sure it's for at least 10 minutes.

15. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Is your favorites set to ALL channels? If its not the "new" channels will not show up.

16. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Good call. I forgot about this one and it has been the reason, for more than one, for reports of channels not showing up in the guide.

17. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006

I do have all channel on the guide. It just that when I pick the channel I get the x721.

18. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Have we ruled out the MS yet?

19. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    It is very unlikely but, the only other thing I can think of is the MPEG4 decoder in the receiver. That chip decodes after recording but even "live" TV is buffered a few seconds.

For now I am staying with the authorization diagnosis. Call D* and get to a level 2tech. Tell him/her your situation and that you think you need a "High Def Hit" to your receiver. At this point it is important that you get past the CSR and to the techs to get this done.

20. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    721 indicates to me you need to get D* back on the phone, and stay on the line with them until they give you the proper authorizations to your account. Have them step through it, even removing and adding back packages until they get it right.

If you like, you can try this after a 10 minute unplug just to be sure.

As far as the switch, I think techrep had it right above, but maybe double-check the model number when you can just to be sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.