1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Help on Genie upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bww, Sep 4, 2013.

1. bww

bww Legend

Feb 15, 2006
    I am eligible for a free upgrade under the protection plan to a Genie. I current have 3 HR24s. At first my plan was to replace one of the HR24s with the Genie and keep the other 2 HR24s. This would require me to go to a SWM16 from the current SWM8.

I am not sure if having a SWM 16 is more negative than keeping the SWM8 since I don't know enough abut it. At our home it is only my wife and I and we have never used more than about 25% of any DVR, nor have we ever had any recording conflicts, so we would not miss the 3rd DVR.

My question is would it be better to only keep one HR24, then have a Genie, and a Genie Client so I could stay with the SWM8?

Thank you

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It's really a preference thing. If you go over 8 tuners and get the SWM16, the tech will replace the SWM-LNB with a legacy LNB and run 3 additional cables down to where you have the SWM16 installed.

If you don't have a need for 9 tuners and are fine with 7 tuners, you might just want to do your second option (Genie, mini, HR24). Since there are only 2 of you, if the wife is using the mini, you will still have 4 tuners available on the Genie, plus the 2 tuners on the HR24. IMHO, I think the latter option is probably the easiest and best for you. You will have plenty of storage space according to what you posted and plenty of recording tuners. If the Genie goes down, you'll still have the HR24 so you can still watch TV until the Genie is repaired.

- Merg

3. bww

bww Legend

Feb 15, 2006
    Merg,
    Thank you for the quick reply....what you say sounds like it would fit us perfectly!

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No problem.

- Merg

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    No. Definitely no!

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Depends on the OP's use of that third TV. If it's in a bedroom that is barely used or in a kitchen with very limited space, a client might be appropriate. He states that he has no issues with recording conflicts with 6 tuners and no issues with space. With a Genie, HR24, and a client, he would have the same amount of recording space and gain a tuner.

- Merg

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Im sorry, but to many people think genie clients are the wrong way to go, when in his case that solution is absolutely perfect for him. there is zero reason not to cut back to two dvrs, in fact he could probably cut back to one and run one genie, and two minis, or one genie, one mini, and one h25 in case of failure. Id go two clients if he owned either of his other dvrs so failure would never be an issue. Genie clients make organizing and control so easy, and based on what he was talking about with disk usage and conflicts, a genie and clients would take care of all his needs.