1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Help on SMW splitter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Soaring Eagle, Jul 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Soaring Eagle

Soaring Eagle New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I am moving my DTV system from a brick and mortar house to our motor home. I intend on keeping the 5 lnb dish from the house and the power inserter. However, for varying reasons, I wanted a new splitter. The current splitter in the house is a sws4wb-wnc which is what I ordered from Amazon, fullfilled by Reider Electronics. What they sent is a mdusp4r0-09.

My questions are:

Is there any difference in the functionality of these two splitters?
    Does one wire them the same way?
    Is there a significant cost and or quality difference?

If they will work the same I will go ahead and install this new one, the MDU...., and not worry about any cost difference, although it appears they substituted a $6 item for a $14 item.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you are using Whole Home, this splitter does not work.

3. Soaring Eagle

Soaring Eagle New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Thanks for the info. Not doing whole house, just two HR21-200s, no network or internet. I am mostly wanting to know if the mdu splitter by NSA is interchangeable with the sws4wb-wn.
    Thanks.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    they are different products for different uses, but both will be fine for use with SWM as long as you dont use WHDVR. Just so you know, this was the splitter DirecTV® used before they use DECA. the "green label" monicker came with along when DECA was released and this splitter was discontinued in favor of the green label ones.

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If you're curious as to the difference, the green label splitters are specially designed to have lower loss in the 475-625 MHz range that DECA uses. The splitter you have will work for whole home, but less efficiently, since without this special design it has a higher loss between ports in that range. If you later decided to start using whole home it will work if your cable runs from splitter to receiver are not too long, but if they are longer but still within Directv spec the losses would be too high and you'd experience issues or it may not work at all.

However, if I'm understanding correctly, you paid $14 for a green label SWM splitter and were substituted a less expensive item. That item may work for you, but that might not always be true if you later decide to use whole home. I think you should make them send you the splitter you ordered and credit you the shipping the charge to return the wrong one they sent. Otherwise you might find yourself needing to buy another splitter to replace it someday.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Technically it's not lower loss, it's lower isolation. The loss from input to output is about the same. The isolation between ports at that bandwidth is lower, so that devices on the same splitter can talk to each other.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Yes & no"
    The isolation between output ports is less and the loss between output to input [and input to output] is more.

9. Soaring Eagle

Soaring Eagle New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Thanks everyone for advice. I decided to return the wrong splitter and order the one Basset suggested. I figured a work around in the meantime to keep my wife happy with at least one TV going in our motor home. I won't order from Reider Electronics again, and have let Amazon know my displeasure at the downgrade substitution.

Thanks, really appreciate the input and help as this is not a knowledge area for me.