1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help pick an OTA antenna for local HD

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by sigma1914, Oct 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm not an expert at all regarding OTA. As a way to save a few bucks I want to cut my cable subscription, which is my "back-up" for satellite, by trying to add OTA. First off, if an outdoor or attic install is recommended, then I'll happily pass. Also, I'm just looking to receive our major 4 networks in HD...KDFW, KXAS, KTVT, & WFAA. I am somewhat partial to buying an antenna online. Can anyone recommend a model to look for? Here's my tvfool results:

[​IMG]

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Well, on one hand, you're in luck that all of the stations are the same direction from you; a bit west of due south. And your signal strengths are good. The bad part is that you have a VHF-hi station (ABC, CH8), which means you'll need an antenna that gets UHF and VHF-hi pretty well.

I don't offer any suggestions about indoor antennas, because they are so non-optimal, and installing an external antenna is so easy, that there is little point.

You could get a tiny, cheap UHF panel/bowtie antenna and mount it on a satellite dish mast/foot outside and get great signals for everything. That's what I'd do.

[​IMG]

http://www.summitsource.com/directv-2-bay-uhf-antenna-hdtv-digital-channel-14-69-by-eagle-aspen-dtv2buhf-two-bay-hd-bowtie-tv-outdoor-roof-top-local-signal-bow-tie-aerial-red-zone-part-dtv2buhf-p-6754.html

[​IMG]

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    At 40 miles, nothing but an outdoor antenna would give you stable, satisfactory reception.

Look at the Winegard 7694 as a minimum, possibly need the 7695 or 7696.

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...