1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rjr30, Dec 19, 2009.

1. rjr30

rjr30 Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I did the 72.5 swap that was offered from D* for free of course. But I have a cabin I would like to install a slimline with a sl3pig-z lnb at. Have never installed one before and am in need of help with it. Any help, guides, instructions are greatly appreciated with this.
    Thanks,
    rjr30

2. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Start with dishpointer.com

Decide if and where the dish can be located.

From there figuring a spot on the structure or property where the mast & dish will be set.

You might want to find a local installer who has tools, a meter & supplies. But you will have to run cable, attach fittings & tune the dish,

Not too hard.

Joe

3. rjr30

rjr30 Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Thanks for replying.
    I am wondering about the 4 cables coming from the lnb. Do I have to install a switch of some type, or can I just cap off 3 of them and run the 4th inside to use? Also on the reciever setup do I just use slimline 3 or some other setting?
    Again thanks,
    rjr30

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If you're just connecting one Receiver, then leave those other 3 dish outputs capped. You might want to run a pigtail cable from the LNB connectors out to the mast so that you can connect future Receivers or DVRs easily without removing the LNB assembly.

SlimLine3 is the correct setting for a 3-LNB SlimLine HD dish.

5. rjr30

rjr30 Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Thanks for the info, I will be trying to install it in the morning. Wish me luck.
    rjr30

6. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Go for It!

This might help.

Solid Signal > DIRECTV Ka/Ku MPEG-4 Compatible Satellite Dish Installation Videos

Go to Solid Signal.com

Joe

7. rjr30

rjr30 Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Am in need of a sat finder reader. I am looking at a Acutrac 22 Pro MK II. Will this work to pick up the birds I am trying to find? Or do I need a differnt type?
    Thanks,
    rjr30

8. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Why not just have them update it on the cabin account as well?

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    That will do. Never used that model but many on here have. Remember, Directv asked techs to tune for the 99 and 103 before they were launched. Now that they are up there......tune the 101 and 119. See what you have...peak the 103c and you are done. Firmly tighten all bolts...don't break them!

Joe

10. rjr30

rjr30 Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Shades288
    We only use the cabin for weekends and maybe for a week or two in the summer. Not sure if I'm suppose to or not, but I just take the ird from my bedroom at the house, and use it at the cabin when we are there. So Im not sure if D* would come out and do a install for me there.
    joe
    Thanks for the info and the info on the sat finder. Guess I will get it and see how well it works.
    rjr30

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Go for it!

I think the DTV official position on what you plan is that it is allowed as long as the receivers are not being run simultaneously at two addresses...like your home and your sports bar in Manhattan. If you called them they would charge you for the second installation..the one you are doing.

My fav conversation on the topic as an installer went :

"Yes...I want to suspend our account in CT. ...we are now at out residence in MD. When our boat arrives we will proceed to our residence in FL.....at that time we will suspend out account for this residence in MD and either reside on our boat or our FL home........no we do not have three homes...we have seven..we are discussing our Directv service on the east coast of North America at this time.............no I do not know when our captain will arrive with the boat.....he calls my husband..........Look! If you call my husband he may buy Directv and fire you....The young man here (me) has been very nice...you should try to be more like him....please turn on the equipment here...NOW!"

It went like that....so in the scheme of things..you are cool.

Report success,

Joe

12. rjr30

rjr30 Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I am running the cable and was wondering. Can I use a coax "flat" wire (it is flat rg6 wire that can go under doors or windows)? It would save me a whole lot of work if it will work.
    Thanks,
    rjr30

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Flat coax will work.
    Having said that ...it may cause problems with HD signals. Also, it is prone to ez damage. You have to protect it with tape or something. Opening the door or window on it will abrade it.

Another approach is to cut a 2x4 to fit the window width and drill that.......lower the window on the 2x4. Door jambs can be drilled if they are wood. Run regular cable through the hole before putting on the fitting.

Joe

14. rjr30

rjr30 Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I dont have a HD tv at the cabin. But that makes me wonder, the beam coming down is all HD and the ird converts it to SD?
    rjr30

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No, HD and SD are separate beams. They are all digital, but they are not all HD.

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yes,

My understanding is all signals from the 99 & 103 are HD and and HD programming on the 101, 110 or 119 is being moved. And they put up another sat just recently.....don't remember hearing which position it will be in but probably at 99, 101 or 103.

If you have the 101 on a round dish you are good for all the SD programming.

Joe

17. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    I'll clarify this further. I'm assuming you haven't signed up for HD service at $10/month.

You should at this point have all HD receivers at your house. So you can take any of them to the cabin.

Your local channels are in HD, but the *receiver* converts them into 480i (a.k.a. SD) automatically. All video output on S-video is automatically converted to 480i.

You other channels are in SD already, and the receiver just displays them in 480i.

The HD receivers don't have coaxial out anymore, so if that's all your old TV has you'll also need an S-video to coaxial converter.

18. rjr30

rjr30 Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I GOT IT!!!
    Got the meter hooked it up found the peaks hooked up to the ird and everything come in. I want to thank everyone on putting up with all my questions, and no I dont have HD for 10 more a month.
    Again thanks,
    rjr30